inez

Default Office 97 Word not responding

Using Windows XP, SP2, I.E and O.E. and Office '97. When typing an email
message or a letter in the Word program, there is a "Windows Classic" Dark
blue heading at the top of the page. Frequently, the dark blue heading
fades to gray and at the same time, whatever I am typing ceases. I mean I
can be typing away and suddenly, my fingers are still going over the keys
but none of the typing shows. I have to click the somewhere on the page I
am typing and the typing will start again until the next time it fades away.
Can someone please give me some help on why this is happening and how to
cure it? If I am in the wrong newsgroup, please direct me to the correct
URL.
Thanks, Inez

Graham Mayor

Do you have Norton AV? Uncheck its Office Plug-in which can allow the system
focus to turn to other running applications hidden behind the main
application. This is indicated by the taskbar icon for that application
'flashing' orange.

inez wrote:
Using Windows XP, SP2, I.E and O.E. and Office '97. When typing an
email message or a letter in the Word program, there is a "Windows
Classic" Dark blue heading at the top of the page. Frequently, the
dark blue heading fades to gray and at the same time, whatever I am
typing ceases. I mean I can be typing away and suddenly, my fingers
are still going over the keys but none of the typing shows. I have
to click the somewhere on the page I am typing and the typing will
start again until the next time it fades away. Can someone please
give me some help on why this is happening and how to cure it? If I
am in the wrong newsgroup, please direct me to the correct URL.
Thanks, Inez

inez

Thanks for the information. I ran Norton Antivirus and also Grisoft
Antivirus and neither of them reported finding a virus. Any other
suggestions?
Inez

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
This sounds likely to be the result of a virus.

so
all may benefit.

"inez" wrote in message
Using Windows XP, SP2, I.E and O.E. and Office '97. When typing an email
message or a letter in the Word program, there is a "Windows Classic"
Dark
blue heading at the top of the page. Frequently, the dark blue heading
fades to gray and at the same time, whatever I am typing ceases. I mean
can be typing away and suddenly, my fingers are still going over the keys
but none of the typing shows. I have to click the somewhere on the page
am typing and the typing will start again until the next time it fades

away.
Can someone please give me some help on why this is happening and how to
cure it? If I am in the wrong newsgroup, please direct me to the correct
URL.
Thanks, Inez

TF

The description of the header pane fading away sounds like the same way that
the desktop fades away when you close Windows or change the Desktop
Background colour option. My suspicion is that you have a strange graphics
problem. Are you using the latest driver for your graphics?

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"inez" wrote in message
: Using Windows XP, SP2, I.E and O.E. and Office '97. When typing an email
: message or a letter in the Word program, there is a "Windows Classic" Dark
: blue heading at the top of the page. Frequently, the dark blue heading
: fades to gray and at the same time, whatever I am typing ceases. I mean I
: can be typing away and suddenly, my fingers are still going over the keys
: but none of the typing shows. I have to click the somewhere on the page I
: am typing and the typing will start again until the next time it fades
away.
: Can someone please give me some help on why this is happening and how to
: cure it? If I am in the wrong newsgroup, please direct me to the correct
: URL.
: Thanks, Inez
:
:

inez

Where are the graphics drivers? How do I find the update and how to install
them? Not knowing where to search, I opened My Computer-properties-device
manager-and found under the Network Adapters: Realtec RTL8139 Family PCI
Fast Ethernet NIC. When I right clicked on Realtec, clicked Update, after
the scan, I was told Realtec was up-to-date. What other information can I
furnish? Am I searching in the right place? I appreciate the help.
Inez

"inez" wrote in message
[...]

TF

Microsoft calls Graphics drivers as Display Adapters! Quick way to Device
Manager is WindowsKey+Break.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"inez" wrote in message
: Where are the graphics drivers? How do I find the update and how to
install
: them? Not knowing where to search, I opened My Computer-properties-device
: manager-and found under the Network Adapters: Realtec RTL8139 Family PCI
: Fast Ethernet NIC. When I right clicked on Realtec, clicked Update, after
: the scan, I was told Realtec was up-to-date. What other information can I
: furnish? Am I searching in the right place? I appreciate the help.
: Inez
:
: "TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
: ...
: The description of the header pane fading away sounds like the same way
: that
: the desktop fades away when you close Windows or change the Desktop
: Background colour option. My suspicion is that you have a strange
graphics
: problem. Are you using the latest driver for your graphics?
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
[...]