Adrienne

Default Desperate Word 2000 Index/SEQ field prob

So I've long since switched to SEQ field numbering because it's way
more reliable than Word's heading/outline numbering. But somehow, I've
never encountered this particular problem until now.....

Here's my problem: I have a 20+ chapter document, each chapter in a sep
Word file, with a master TOC and master Index that use RD fields. All
of the individual chapters are numbered with SEQ fields, using a
sequence called "Chapter".

Using the {TOC \s Chapter ..etc. } field (with the "\s" switch) in the
TOC file works just fine, and gives me a TOC that reflects the SEQ'd
Chapter numbers along with the individual page numbers. Perfect.

But I can't get the ffrrffing "\s" switch to work in my INDEX field!!
All my index entries come up as plain old page numbers minus the SEQ'd
Chapter numbers. And since each Chapter starts off at page 1 again,
individual page references mean nothing without the chapter reference.
I should be seeing, e.g., "Anteater.....1-10, 13-23", but instead I'm
seeing "Anteater.....10,23" with absolutely no chapter references tied
to the page numbers at all.

Does anybody out there have any clue what I can do to make my SEQ'd
Chapter numbers come up in my index entries? Please??? I'm about to
start offering my first born in exchange, I'm so frazzled by this
problem.

I've dug up a couple archived posts to message boards and lists like
field ok *for just one file*. I now have the sinking feeling that Word
just doesn't let you use this feature if you're building an index from
more than one file (using the RD fields). But I sincerely hope I'm
wrong on that one, and that there is some way to make this document
work.

Thank you so much if you can help, PLEASE!

PS - And lest you wonder why I'm using chapter-based page numbering
rather than continuous page numbering throughout the document, it's
because I have to do it that way due to my office's standards.

Adrienne

And here's the fix to my problem, thanks to Jonathan West from the

He figured out that I still had the setting of "Include Chapter number"
on for my page numbers, and that this was confusing Word when I tried
to build the index.

Here's what Mr. West wrote, and it works perfectly, just as he said:

To remove the chapter formatting proceed as follows

- Open a chapter document
- Go to Insert, Page Numbers
- Click the Format button
- Uncheck the "Include chapter number" checkbox, then click OK
- Click Close to close the main page numbering dialog (Do NOT click OK!
If you do, and additional textbox cntaining the page number will be
inserted into the header or footer)
- Save & close the file.

Repeat for each chapter in turn.
Then open the index file and update the index. All will now be well.