Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Word Wiz

Default Adding text to labels

My situation, I have a document with about 100 labels, all mail merged into
doc. I now have realised I missed adding one line of text to each label. How
do you add text to labels already created. My quick thought was to navigate
through each using tabs and arrows and adding a character to each label. Then
I was going to find and replace that character with the text I want on each.
I know this is a temp fix, however I'd like to know the proper way, if tehre
is one, of going about this without recreating all the labels from square one.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Anne Troy

If you mail-merged them, how difficult can it be to edit the main document
and mail merge them again? The whole idea of mail merge is to make it
easier, not harder. When you create a mail merge main document, SAVE the
file BEFORE merging, so you can easily merge it again later.
http://www.officearticles.com/word/m...osoft_word.htm
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Word Wiz" Word wrote in message
My situation, I have a document with about 100 labels, all mail merged
into
doc. I now have realised I missed adding one line of text to each label.
How
do you add text to labels already created. My quick thought was to
navigate
through each using tabs and arrows and adding a character to each label.
Then
I was going to find and replace that character with the text I want on
each.
I know this is a temp fix, however I'd like to know the proper way, if
tehre
is one, of going about this without recreating all the labels from square
one.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Word Wiz

Of course the problem being that if you are doing this sort of task for an
office, you are more than likey a junior administrator and usually dont get
given all the files. I am in postion of being a temp at this office and this
ahs been ahdned to me third or forth degree.... meaning the original doc - if
it was merged i am not sure - is not available. I will find a fix. thank you.
"how difficult can it be to" is most definately not helpful.

"Anne Troy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Anne Troy

Sorry. I didn't mean to be unhelpful. I think you have the best idea yet
that doesn't require a macro that someone would have to write and by that
time, you could probably do them manually? I cannot think of a quicker
option than the one you've suggested already.
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Anne Troy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

See "Convert Labels into Mail Merge Data File" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm

Or, if it is the same line of text that has to go on all labels, you could
use a macro

Dim i As Long, j As Long

With ActiveDocument.Tables(1)
For i = 1 To .Rows.Count
For j = 1 To .Columns.Count
.Cell(i, j).Range.InsertAfter "New Text"
Next j
Next i
End With

Or, if you want to add the text before the first line of the label, use

Dim i As Long, j As Long

With ActiveDocument.Tables(1)
For i = 1 To .Rows.Count
For j = 1 To .Columns.Count
.Cell(i, j).Range.InsertBefore "New Text" & vbCr
Next j
Next i
End With

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Anne Troy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Anne Troy

Egads, Doug. I didn't even think of that for THIS one (tho I use it a lot)!

Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com