R Scott Lowden

Default Mail merge toolbar unavailable after SP3

Graham,
This is the exact scenario that I have been contending with for our merge
documents for our clients all across the country; I came up with an
in-eligant workaround by activating events in MS-Word 2003 VBA and then
writing a macro to force open the datasource, but I'd appreciate a copy of
the registry script file you sent to dixie that I could use. I'll have to
play with it to see if it can try to add the entries for both MSO 2002 SP3
and MSO 2003 because we have not established an offical policy on what
versions we develop our materials for.
If you have the file, I'd appreciate it if you could send it to my work
email

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

It used to be (and may still be by default) possible to simply double click
the filename *.reg in Windows Explorer for the reg file to be merged with
the registry, but as this is potentially dangerous, I always change the
default action to open such files in Notepad on computers I support.

Select the file in Windows Explorer - right click and 'merge' to the
registry. This will work regardless of the default settings.

If your e-mail address is genuine, I have separately sent you the reg file
to ensure that there is no ambiguity. Please open it in notepad to compare
it with the posted information before using it.

My web site
www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

dixie wrote:
Graham, how would I go about running that file. Do you have to invoke
regedit, or does it automatically find the file and if so, where
should the file be put?

If this can be done semi automatically, it would solve a lot of
problems where the actual users of the workstations in an
organisation are not computer literate enough to change the registry
themselves, so it falls to one person to get around maybe 50
computers and do it.

dixie

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Microsoft can't win - they are damned if they don't do something
about security and damned if they do.

For most people this is not the issue you seem to imagine. The
complaints about it here have been few.

It is a minor inconvenience to protect the bulk of users from
themselves, and for those for whom the warning is too much of an
irritant, they have documented a workaround as indicated by Peter.
It is not that difficult to create a registry patch from the
information provided and either use a log-in script to implement it
or provide the patch for those users upset about it to install
themselves. For Word 2003 users that would be a text file called
(say) FIXSQL.reg containing

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\W ord\Options]
"SQLSecurityCheck"=dword:00000000

Just wait until you install the Windows XP SP2 upgrade, which has a
raft of extra security measures to protect your users.

dixie wrote:
Yes, but you should not HAVE to do a registry change on every
computer running mailmerge documents just because you are using
SP-3 of Office XP or Office 2003. Do Microsoft have any idea how
many computers in the world are affected negatively by this
"security feature".
Surely, they could have added an option in SP-1 of 2003 to simply
turn off the warning. In my area, there are literally hundreds of
computers needing registry changes for this problem of automation
from Access to Word. Surely there is a better fix than this?

dixie

"Kirstin" wrote in message
I think you hit nail right on the head Peter. That prompt you
metioned does in fact come up and I'm sure this KB article
addresses the issue. I will try this when I'm back in the office
next week.

Thank you for your assistance!

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

This is almost certainly caused by a new security "feature" in SP3
- if you open your merge document manually in Word, you
willprobably see a new dialog box saying that Word is about to
execute some SQL and requesting your permission to do it. When
Word is being automated as in your scenario, what happens is that
the "no" option is assumed, so your document is opened with no
connection to any data source.

The following MS knowledgebase article may help:

Peter Jamieson

"Kirstin" wrote in message
Our office is using desktops with Office & Windows XP. We have
an Access database that is used to generate a mail merge of
insurance renewal notices. Clicking the Generate Letters button
in Access opens the completed mail merge document for printing.

After applying Office XP SP3, and pressing the same button to
Generate Letters, the mail merge toolbar is now grayed out with
only the Main Document Setup and Open Data Source buttons
activate. I found a work around by clicking Open Data Source and
selecting the XLS file that the Access database is supposed to
use. Now the toolbar is activate and I can see all the records,
but we did not have to do this extra step before.

I did some searching on the MS KB and applied the Post-SP3 hotfix
package, but that did not correct the issue. Any ideas?

Graham Mayor

The content of the registry patch is listed in the earlier message i.e.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\W ord\Options]
"SQLSecurityCheck"=dword:00000000

Copy the three lines to notepad and save as FIXSQL.REG