DRS - Jonathan

Default Insert objects at page breaks

Is there a way to insert a picture into the header of of every page following
a page break?

The setup I have now consists of a series of sections separated by page
breaks. What I would like to do is insert our company logo at the beginning
of each section so that when these are printed out, there is something that
easily identifies the beginning of a new section.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan
Jay Freedman

DRS - Jonathan wrote:
Is there a way to insert a picture into the header of of every page
following a page break?

The setup I have now consists of a series of sections separated by
page breaks. What I would like to do is insert our company logo at
the beginning of each section so that when these are printed out,
there is something that easily identifies the beginning of a new
section.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Instead of page breaks, use New Page section breaks (you can change existing
section break types by putting the cursor in the section, going to File
Page Setup Layout, and changing the Section Start setting).

In the same dialog, set each section to "Different first page" headers, and
put your logo in the first-page header. See items 5 and 6 in
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/PageNumbering.htm for some help.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

DRS - Jonathan

Thanks Jay for the teh quick response.

However, I was looking more for a way to insert the same header(logo) after
each page break; not just on the first page. Is there a way to automate this?

In the link you provided, it seems like its possible to do a little inline
coding with 'IF' statements, but it only appears to use text or predefined
keywords as the statements. Is there a way to use those contructs, but have
a picture inserted instead of text?

Thanks,
Jonathan

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

DRS - Jonathan wrote:
[...]

Daiya Mitchell

Follow Jay's directions, but make sure that the First Page Header in each
section is set to "same as previous" to repeat the logo at the beginning of
each section, and be sure to use Section Breaks (Insert | Break...)

If that doesn't make sense to you, read this link for how headers/footers
work.
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/HeaderFooter.htm
And part of this one for understanding sections:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Format...thSections.htm

Jay told you how to get this, either you've changed what you want or you are
not doing it quite right:
The setup I have now consists of a series of sections separated by
page breaks. What I would like to do is insert our company logo at
the beginning of each section so that when these are printed out,
there is something that easily identifies the beginning of a new
section.

DM

Jay Freedman

Hi Jonathan,

I think we're using the word "sections" differently. Word has a special
meaning, literally "the portion of a document between section breaks". When
you say your document has multiple "sections" separated by page breaks, Word
doesn't consider them to be sections in the technical sense.

If each of your sections (in your sense, using only page breaks) is only one
page long, you can put the logo in the one-and-only header and it will
appear on every page. If a section (again in your sense) can be more than
one page, then there is no way to get the logo only on the page following
the page break -- you *must* start using section breaks.

The IF field method won't work with only page breaks, for the following
reason. The IF field compares the result of an embedded PAGE field (that is,
the current page number) to a specific fixed page number. It displays one
expression if they match, and another expression (or nothing) if they don't
match. But the IF field has to be set up with prior knowledge of what page
number should match. For instance, you might write a field code {IF {PAGE} =
1 logo} where you paste the logo graphic in as indicated. But then the
logo would appear only on page 1. You can set any section (after a section
break, not a page break) to restart page numbering at 1 -- but you do need
the section break for that. And if you're using section breaks anyway, you
might as well use the first-page header instead of the tricky IF field,
especially if you aren't interested in restarting page numbering.

If you set up the first section with a first-page header containing the
logo, and then insert Next Page section breaks in place of the page breaks,
by default the logo will then appear on the first page of every section. (If
you wanted to have a different header in some sections, you would have to go
to the header of each of those sections and turn off the Same As Previous
option for that header.)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman