Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Janine Janine is offline

Default Word 2010 - Print Preview Magnifier

The shortcut goes to Print Preview and Print (the new command). But as I
state further down I did some more research and the old command is there.
I use it to update fields also.

Janine

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Surely, the Print Preview shortcut must be available even in Word 2010.
Personally I don't use the button, but I do use the keyboard shortcut
(Ctrl+F2). Very useful, for example when you want to update certain
fields.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Okay, I'm seeing this now, but I sure hope that Print Preview can still
be
added to the QAT in Word 2010 because I use it very frequently and do not
want to have to go through File | Print to get to it. Moreover, the Print
Preview in FSR doesn't have the "Shrink One Page" button that many people
ask about

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Thanks for confirming this.

By the way, note that the mentioned options in Full Screen Reading view
are also available in Word 2007.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
Suzanne, please accept that Janine is correct. With very little
fanfare, the devs completely redesigned this part of Word. The Print
Preview -- which appears when you click File Print whether you want
it or not -- is zoomable but not editable. However, when you go to
FSR, there's a View Options button in the top right corner that opens
a menu, and that menu includes "Show One Page", "Show Two Pages", and
"Show Printed Page" -- the last of these is WYSIWYG. There is also an
independent toggle setting for "Allow Typing", which is the option
Tammy will want.

You can't do everything there -- for example, the only formatting
tools are the ones on the MiniBar or applied via keyboard shortcuts --
but it's entirely adequate for last-minute corrections.

As another enhancement, if you make edits in either FSR or Print
Layout view, and then go to the other view, your cursor location
doesn't change.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 16:40:22 +0100, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:

I agree.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
. ..
And it would appear that FSR may have changed from Word 2007. I don't
have
2010 installed, so I can't check any of this out, but FSR view was
certainly not intended to be WYSIWYG; its purpose is to make a
document
more readable onscreen, and this means that line and page breaks may
be
entirely different from the printing version. I don't think Janine
understands what Tammy wants, and it's going to take someone else who
has
2010 installed to help Tammy, I suspect.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
But Full Screen Reading isn't necessarily a WYSIWYG view, which is
supported by the help topic that you cited: "you also have the
option
of
seeing the document as it would appear on a printed page".

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

__________________________________
"Janine" wrote in message
No Suzanne, actually Full Screen Reading is where you Allow Typing
Mode
(make edits to document as Tammy has suggested wanting to do).
WYSIWYG
("seeing the document as it would appear on the printed page") is
what I
have in Full Screen Reading view not sure why you would have a
different
view Suzanne.

In Microsoft Office "14" programs, you now preview and print your
Office
files in one location - on the Print tab in the Microsoft Office
Backstage view.

[snip]

Hope that helps Tammy.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Full Screen Reading is in no way a substitute for Print Preview. I
can't
imagine any reason for even using FSR, much less trying to edit in
that
view
(given that it isn't WYSIWYG); I do my editing in Print Layout
view,
but
some people do like to be able to immediately correct errors they
spot
in
Print Preview. This would not be such an issue if you could close
Print
Preview and be on the page you were viewing in PP, but, unless this
has
changed, Word takes you back to the page where you were when you
switched
into Print Preview, which is not acceptable if you've PageDown'd
through
dozens of pages before spotting the error.

The question that Tammy is asking is not about how to use the
magnifier
in
Print Preview but about how to turn it off in order to permit
editing.
If
there is no magnifier, then perhaps clicking in the document
automatically
permits editing?

http://word.mvps.org

"Janine" wrote in message
Suzanne,

It is now in Full Screen Reading - you can Find/Allow Typing/Track
Changes/Comments read superbly on the screen (the larger the
better).
Read
one page or two pages etc. and go to Print Preview when ready to
print.

Print Preview is now just what it should always have been Print
Preview
what you see before you print (as in Printer Software). The new
FULL
SCREEN READING mode is where you modify the document and it is
great.

Let's face it if you didn't know to click the magnifying glass
many
users
never would have. In FULL SCREEN READING mode you can see
everything
very
clearly and select what you like.

Janine

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If editing is no longer possible in Print Preview, a lot of
people
are
going to be unhappy.

http://word.mvps.org

"Janine" wrote in message
Tammy

In 2010 Print Preview does just that only now.
You are looking for Full Screen Reading (next icon at bottom
right of
screen) gives you options to edit/track/comment/highlight etc.
So
you
really don't need Print Preview unless you really want to Print
Preview - just clear the brain cells and think Full Screen
Reading.

I have assigned a shortcut key ReadingMode

Janine

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview -
does
anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's
gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!