Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tammy tammy is offline

Default Word 2010 - Print Preview Magnifier

Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview - does anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tammy tammy is offline

Hi Pam - thanks for your response. I'm looking for the "magnifier" button
that allows you to make quick edits to your document while you are in Print
Preview. I used that feature all the time!! Thanks, again!

Tammy wrote:
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview - does anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Word 2007 there's a check box for it on the Print Preview Ribbon tab.
Does 2010 not have this?

http://word.mvps.org

Tammy wrote:
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview - does
anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Janine Janine is offline

Tammy

In 2010 Print Preview does just that only now.
You are looking for Full Screen Reading (next icon at bottom right of
screen) gives you options to edit/track/comment/highlight etc. So you really
don't need Print Preview unless you really want to Print Preview - just
clear the brain cells and think Full Screen Reading.

I have assigned a shortcut key ReadingMode

Janine

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview - does anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If editing is no longer possible in Print Preview, a lot of people are going
to be unhappy.

http://word.mvps.org

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview - does anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Janine Janine is offline

Suzanne,

It is now in Full Screen Reading - you can Find/Allow Typing/Track
Changes/Comments read superbly on the screen (the larger the better). Read
one page or two pages etc. and go to Print Preview when ready to print.

Print Preview is now just what it should always have been Print Preview what
you see before you print (as in Printer Software). The new FULL SCREEN
READING mode is where you modify the document and it is great.

Let's face it if you didn't know to click the magnifying glass many users
never would have. In FULL SCREEN READING mode you can see everything very
clearly and select what you like.

Janine

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview - does
anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Full Screen Reading is in no way a substitute for Print Preview. I can't
imagine any reason for even using FSR, much less trying to edit in that view
(given that it isn't WYSIWYG); I do my editing in Print Layout view, but
some people do like to be able to immediately correct errors they spot in
Print Preview. This would not be such an issue if you could close Print
Preview and be on the page you were viewing in PP, but, unless this has
changed, Word takes you back to the page where you were when you switched
into Print Preview, which is not acceptable if you've PageDown'd through
dozens of pages before spotting the error.

The question that Tammy is asking is not about how to use the magnifier in
Print Preview but about how to turn it off in order to permit editing. If
there is no magnifier, then perhaps clicking in the document automatically
permits editing?

http://word.mvps.org

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview - does
anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Janine Janine is offline

No Suzanne, actually Full Screen Reading is where you Allow Typing Mode (make edits to document as Tammy has suggested wanting to do). WYSIWYG ("seeing the document as it would appear on the printed page") is what I have in Full Screen Reading view not sure why you would have a different view Suzanne.

In Microsoft Office "14" programs, you now preview and print your Office files in one location €” on the Print tab in the Microsoft Office Backstage view.

From Word Help 2010 - Full Screen Reading view:

Full Screen Reading view is optimized for reading a document on the computer screen. In Full Screen Reading view, you also have the option of seeing the document as it would appear on a printed page.

What do you want to do?

Read a document
Mark up a document
Find or look up words and phrases
Turn off Full Screen Reading view

Read a document
On the View tab, in the Document Views group, click Full Screen Reading.

Page through the document
You can use any of the following options to move from page to page in a document:

Click the arrows in the lower corners of the pages.
Press PAGE DOWN and PAGE UP or SPACEBAR and BACKSPACE on the keyboard.
Click the navigation arrows at the top center of the screen.
Tip Click View Options, and then click Show Two Pages to view two pages, or screens, at a time.

Move one screen at a time
1.Click View Options, and then click Show Two Pages to view two pages, or screens, at a time.
2.Press CTRL+RIGHT ARROW or CTRL+LEFT ARROW to move one screen at a time.
Adjust the view of the document
Click View Options, and then do one of the following:

First, make sure that the Show Printed Page option under View Options is not selected. To display the text in a larger size, click Increase Text Size. To display more text on the screen, click Decrease Text Size.
To display the page as it would appear when you print it, click Show Printed Page.
To display two pages at the same time, click Show Two Pages .
Jump to a screen
To jump to the first or last screen of the document, press HOME or END.
To jump to a specific screen, type the screen number, and then press ENTER.
Jump to a section of the document
You can use the Browse the pages in your document tab in the Navigation Pane to find the section of the document that you want to jump to.

1.If the Navigation Pane is not visible, click Page x of x at the top center of the screen, click Jump to a page, and then click Navigation Pane.
2.Do one of the following:
To jump to any heading in the document, click the Browse the headings in your document tab, and click any heading. This option is unavailable if your document has no headings defined.
To jump to a particular page, click the Browse the pages in your document tab, and then click the thumbnail image for that page.
Top of Page

Mark up a document
In Full Screen Reading view, you can highlight content, track your changes, add comments, and review changes.

Highlight content that you want to remember
1.On the title bar, click the arrow next to Text Highlight Color.
2.Click the highlight color you want to use.
3.Select the text or graphic that you want to highlight.
Notes

To turn off highlighting, click Text Highlight Color, and then click Stop Highlighting, or press ESC.
To change the highlighter color, click the arrow next to Text Highlight Color, and then click the color that you want.
Track changes in the document
1.To allow typing in the document, click View Options, and then click Allow Typing.
2.Click View Options again, point to Track Changes, and then click Track Changes.
3.Make the changes that you want.
Add comments
On the title bar, click Insert Comment.
Top of Page

Find or look up words and phrases
Find or replace a word or phrase
1.Click Tools, and then click Find.
2.In the Find what box, type the text that you want to search for, just as you would in any other view in Microsoft Word.
3.If you want to replace the text that you find in the document with some other text, click the Replace tab, and then, in the Replace with box, type the replacement text.
Note To use Replace, you must click View Options, and then click Allow Typing.

Look up or translate a word, or find more information about it
1.Select a word or phrase in the document.
2.Click Tools, and then click Research.
Note To select a particular type of research material €” such as a dictionary, translation dictionary, encyclopedia, or thesaurus €” choose a research service in the Research task pane.

Top of Page

Turn off Full Screen Reading view
Click Close in the upper-right corner of the screen, or press ESC.

Hope that helps Tammy.

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview - does
anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But Full Screen Reading isn't necessarily a WYSIWYG view, which is supported
by the help topic that you cited: "you also have the option of seeing the
document as it would appear on a printed page".

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

__________________________________
"Janine" wrote in message
No Suzanne, actually Full Screen Reading is where you Allow Typing Mode
(make edits to document as Tammy has suggested wanting to do). WYSIWYG
("seeing the document as it would appear on the printed page") is what I
have in Full Screen Reading view not sure why you would have a different
view Suzanne.

In Microsoft Office "14" programs, you now preview and print your Office
files in one location - on the Print tab in the Microsoft Office Backstage
view.

From Word Help 2010 - Full Screen Reading view:

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview - does
anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

And it would appear that FSR may have changed from Word 2007. I don't have
2010 installed, so I can't check any of this out, but FSR view was certainly
not intended to be WYSIWYG; its purpose is to make a document more readable
onscreen, and this means that line and page breaks may be entirely different
from the printing version. I don't think Janine understands what Tammy
wants, and it's going to take someone else who has 2010 installed to help
Tammy, I suspect.

http://word.mvps.org

"Janine" wrote in message
No Suzanne, actually Full Screen Reading is where you Allow Typing Mode
(make edits to document as Tammy has suggested wanting to do). WYSIWYG
("seeing the document as it would appear on the printed page") is what I
have in Full Screen Reading view not sure why you would have a different
view Suzanne.

In Microsoft Office "14" programs, you now preview and print your Office
files in one location - on the Print tab in the Microsoft Office Backstage
view.

From Word Help 2010 - Full Screen Reading view:

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview - does
anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I agree.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Janine" wrote in message
No Suzanne, actually Full Screen Reading is where you Allow Typing Mode
(make edits to document as Tammy has suggested wanting to do). WYSIWYG
("seeing the document as it would appear on the printed page") is what I
have in Full Screen Reading view not sure why you would have a different
view Suzanne.

In Microsoft Office "14" programs, you now preview and print your Office
files in one location - on the Print tab in the Microsoft Office
Backstage view.

From Word Help 2010 - Full Screen Reading view:

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview - does
anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Suzanne, please accept that Janine is correct. With very little
fanfare, the devs completely redesigned this part of Word. The Print
Preview -- which appears when you click File Print whether you want
it or not -- is zoomable but not editable. However, when you go to
FSR, there's a View Options button in the top right corner that opens
a menu, and that menu includes "Show One Page", "Show Two Pages", and
"Show Printed Page" -- the last of these is WYSIWYG. There is also an
independent toggle setting for "Allow Typing", which is the option
Tammy will want.

You can't do everything there -- for example, the only formatting
tools are the ones on the MiniBar or applied via keyboard shortcuts --
but it's entirely adequate for last-minute corrections.

As another enhancement, if you make edits in either FSR or Print
Layout view, and then go to the other view, your cursor location
doesn't change.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 16:40:22 +0100, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:

I agree.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Janine" wrote in message
No Suzanne, actually Full Screen Reading is where you Allow Typing Mode
(make edits to document as Tammy has suggested wanting to do). WYSIWYG
("seeing the document as it would appear on the printed page") is what I
have in Full Screen Reading view not sure why you would have a different
view Suzanne.

In Microsoft Office "14" programs, you now preview and print your Office
files in one location - on the Print tab in the Microsoft Office
Backstage view.

[snip]

Hope that helps Tammy.

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview - does
anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[...]

wrote:

I agree.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview - does
anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks for confirming this.

By the way, note that the mentioned options in Full Screen Reading view are
also available in Word 2007.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
[...]

wrote:

I agree.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview - does
anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's
gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

[...]

wrote:

I agree.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview - does
anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's
gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Okay, I'm seeing this now, but I sure hope that Print Preview can still be
added to the QAT in Word 2010 because I use it very frequently and do not
want to have to go through File | Print to get to it. Moreover, the Print
Preview in FSR doesn't have the "Shrink One Page" button that many people
ask about

[...]

wrote:

I agree.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview -
does
anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's
gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

[...]

wrote:

I agree.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview -
does
anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's
gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Surely, the Print Preview shortcut must be available even in Word 2010.
Personally I don't use the button, but I do use the keyboard shortcut
(Ctrl+F2). Very useful, for example when you want to update certain fields.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

[...]

wrote:

I agree.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

.. .

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview -
does
anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's
gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

[...]

wrote:

I agree.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview -
does
anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's
gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Exactly! How often do we tell people to switch to PP to update fields?

wrote:

I agree.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

. ..

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview -
does
anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's
gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

[...]

wrote:

I agree.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview -
does
anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's
gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Yes, the Print Preview button (now called Print Preview and Print) is
in the "Popular" category in the Customize Quick Access Toolbar dialog
and in the (Hallelujah!) Customize Ribbon dialog.

To close the Print Preview, press the Esc key or any of the tabs other
than File... DO NOT click the red X in the upper right corner, as that
will close Word (there were complaints in the early betas because
there used to be a second X there to close the File menu, and lots of
people clicked the wrong one).

--
Jay

wrote:

I agree.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview -
does
anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's
gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

wrote:

[...]

wrote:

I agree.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview -
does
anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's
gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tammy tammy is offline

Thanks very much, Janine! That did take a little bit to change the way I was
thinking. I have never found a use for Full Screen Reading, and turned it off
as soon as my first email attachment opened in it. Now, I see, there is no
other choice if I want to preview a document, and possibily edit it at the
same time. Not sure why this changed (maybe to justify the FSR View? JK) ,
but as long as I can still get to the tool, I'll just have to change my
"previewing" habit.

Now...what's the purpose of Print Preview?

Janine, in one of your posts you quoted from 2010 Help - where did you find
that? When I try to use Help in the Beta version, I get help topics for
2007...

Thanks to everyone else for their comments - really appreciated your input!
Kind of glad to find out that there are people who are aware of that great
editing tool when previewing docs!

Thanks, again!

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview - does anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KRyan KRyan is offline

Suzanne and Tammy are right. I've been training users for years to use
Print Preview and click the Magnifier button to make quick edits before
printing. Users will definitely have some questions about this.

For 2010, I understand what Janine is saying. For quick edits prior to
printing, I'll tell users to click Full Screen Reading View and then
choose View Options Allow Typing. However I'm concerned this view will
not be fully WYSIWYG.

If any of the Microsoft Word On-Line Help people happens to see this
post, I HIGHLY suggest documenting this change somewhere. I searched the
Help for 'Print Preview' and all variations thereof, even going out to
IE and searching in Bing and Google, and never found a good
explanation.

Thanks,
Kim Ryan

technical consultant
spartan technology solutions, inc. 'www.spartantechnology.com'
(http://www.spartantechnology.com)

"Janine" wrote in message
No Suzanne, actually Full Screen Reading is where you Allow Typing
Mode
(make edits to document as Tammy has suggested wanting to do).
WYSIWYG
("seeing the document as it would appear on the printed page") is what
have in Full Screen Reading view not sure why you would have a
different
view Suzanne.

--
KRyan
KRyan's Profile: 1497
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=178952

Microsoft Office Help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Janine Janine is offline

Tammy,

You don't have to have Full Screen Reading Mode turned on all the time
(especially Outlook) just click on it at bottom right of screen or assign a
shortcut key to give yourself a choice.

As an aside, I did some more research today in the commands for Ribbon Not
In Use. Even though I prefer Reading Mode with all its features you can (at
least so far in the Public Beta 2010) still assign a shortcut key to the old
style Print Preview and/or add it to your Ribbon or QAT and save your
customisations in 2010.

The command is "Print Preview Edit Mode".

Don't know how long the command will be available but it is there if you
want to assign a shortcut to it.

Whoever was asking about my help file my answer is:
The help file is in my Public Beta questionmark - I don't remember where I
got my download. Could have been MDSN or some other link - there were about
4 links I received. Sorry I can't be much help there.

Janine

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview - does
anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Janine Janine is offline

So do I Stefan (always).

[...]

wrote:

I agree.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview -
does
anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's
gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Janine Janine is offline

So do I Stefan (always).

[...]

wrote:

I agree.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi -

I can't find the Magnifier option when I'm in Print Preview -
does
anyone
know where it exists in Word 2010? Please don't tell me it's
gone!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Janine Janine is offline

This is a very contentious issue I see.

I think full screen reading view is because people are Screen Reading
documents more these days rather than just willy nilly printing everything
out. So it is a great space to work on the document on screen - the larger
the screen the better. It is also just as easy to work on the document in
the usual print layout view too.

The only key point is CTRL F2 only allows Print Preview and Print Options.

"Janine" wrote in message
No Suzanne, actually Full Screen Reading is where you Allow Typing
Mode
(make edits to document as Tammy has suggested wanting to do).
WYSIWYG
("seeing the document as it would appear on the printed page") is what
have in Full Screen Reading view not sure why you would have a
different
view Suzanne.

--
KRyan
KRyan's Profile: 1497
View this thread:
http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=178952

Microsoft Office Help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Janine Janine is offline

The shortcut goes to Print Preview and Print (the new command). But as I
state further down I did some more research and the old command is there.
I use it to update fields also.

Janine

wrote:

I agree.