Find text in embedded Visio diagrams within a Word document.

Old April 20th 10, 01:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DarrenD

Default Find text in embedded Visio diagrams within a Word document.

I am using Word 2003 and Visio 2003 Professional running on 32-bit Windows XP
Professional SP2 + other patches.

I have several Visio diagrams embedded within a Word document. The diagrams
contain data names that I also refer to within the main Word document text.
Sometimes I have to change a data name, e.g. from "myData1" to "myBigData26".
I can use the Word find/replace to globally change the text within the Word
document but it does not change the text within the Visio diagrams. I am OK
with that but I would like to be able to say to Word "in all embedded objects
find the text myData1 and tell me which objects contain the text". Then I can
go through each diagram and replace the text manually. The manual replacement
will be a pain but that is a small price to pay for my current method which
is to scan by eye each Visio diagram for the text myData1.

In googling around before raising this question I came across the Visio
IFilter 2003 Add-in but after installing it I find that this is not exactly
what I wanted, it only finds text within a Visio diagram file and not an
embedded object.

Can someone point me in the right direction please?
Thanks
Darren