Default HOW CAN i REMOVE "READ ONLY" PROTECTION ON A DOCUMENT

I have written some documents at home but need to complete them at the
office. When alterations have been made I am not permitted to save them, even
to a different location as they are "read only". how do i remove this. I have
been into the properties of the document and remove the Read only tick, but
still it denies me access.