Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
iantresman iantresman is offline

Default Word 2007 index format: how to create alphabetical groups

The Word 2007 index dialog includes the "Classic" format which groups entries
alphabetically, with a letter of the alphabet as the group heading.

If I select from Formats the "From template" option, so I can customize the
index style, there are no alphabetical groups and headings. How can I enable
this?

Regards,
Ian
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You'll need to modify the INDEX field to include the \h switch:

\h "Heading"
Inserts text formatted with the Index Heading style between alphabetic
groups in the index. Enclose the text in quotation marks. The field { INDEX
\h "€” A€” " } displays the appropriate letter before each alphabetic group in
the index. To insert a blank line between groups, use empty quotation marks:
\h "".

http://word.mvps.org

"iantresman" wrote in message
The Word 2007 index dialog includes the "Classic" format which groups
entries
alphabetically, with a letter of the alphabet as the group heading.

If I select from Formats the "From template" option, so I can customize
the
index style, there are no alphabetical groups and headings. How can I
enable
this?

Regards,
Ian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You'll need to modify the INDEX field to include the \h switch:

\h "Heading"
Inserts text formatted with the Index Heading style between alphabetic
groups in the index. Enclose the text in quotation marks. The field { INDEX
\h "€” A€” " } displays the appropriate letter before each alphabetic group in
the index. To insert a blank line between groups, use empty quotation marks:
\h "".

Thanks for that. The "Classic" index format obviously does this
automatically. How is it able to do so, whereas the "From template" format
can not?

Otherwise I'd have to do this manually, which kind of defeats the object of
a Concordance file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The "Classic" index field includes that switch?

Sure, so how do I add the switch to the "From templates" index format?
Or how do I edit the Classic format so I can change some other formatting
options?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"From template" means only that the index will use the Index styles as
modified and saved in the attached template (Normal.dotm or another). It has
no bearing on the INDEX field syntax. You can edit the INDEX field manually
(press Alt+F9 to display the field code), and you can save the edited field
as an AutoText entry (building block).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The "Classic" index field includes that switch?

Sure, so how do I add the switch to the "From templates" index format?
Or how do I edit the Classic format so I can change some other formatting
options?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
iantresman iantresman is offline

"From template" means only that the index will use the Index styles as
modified and saved in the attached template (Normal.dotm or another). It has
no bearing on the INDEX field syntax. You can edit the INDEX field manually
(press Alt+F9 to display the field code), and you can save the edited field
as an AutoText entry (building block).

Since the Classic format accomplishes the task of adding the tag to the
Index field, how do I edit its style. Somewhere it seems to be making the
body text into the Calibri font, and I want to change this?

Thanks again.