Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jimmy Clay Jimmy Clay is offline

Default Converting a list into an outline

Is there an easy way to convert a long list with multiple levels into
an outline?

Seems like it should be possible create a macro that will search for
the bullets in front of each level. I was thinking it should be
possible to do a Find and Replace, Find the bullet then replace it
with an outline level, but I can't figure out how to do that.

Thanks
Jimmy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If each outline level has a different bullet character, you could Find
each bullet character and Replace with the appropriate Style --
Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. (To Replace with a Style, click More in the
Find/Replace box, Format, Style.)

On May 22, 8:04*pm, Jimmy Clay wrote:
Is there an easy way to convert a long list with multiple levels into
an outline?

Seems like it should be possible create a macro that will search for
the bullets in front of each level. I was thinking it should be
possible to do a Find and Replace, Find the bullet then replace it
with an outline level, but I can't figure out how to do that.

Thanks
Jimmy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On May 22, 9:38*pm, grammatim wrote:
If each outline level has a different bullet character, you could Find
each bullet character and Replace with the appropriate Style --
Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. (To Replace with a Style, click More in the
Find/Replace box, Format, Style.)

On May 22, 8:04*pm, Jimmy Clay wrote:

Is there an easy way to convert a long list with multiple levels into
an outline?

Seems like it should be possible create a macro that will search for
the bullets in front of each level. I was thinking it should be
possible to do a Find and Replace, Find the bullet then replace it
with an outline level, but I can't figure out how to do that.

Thanks
Jimmy

It seems like that should work, but when I tried to do it I could not
highlight the bullet to copy it and then paste it into Find.

How do I search for that bullet character?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

It sounds like you may be going about this the hard way :-) although it
really isn't clear what you're starting with or exactly what you want to
wind up with, but assuming you have a regular multi-level bulleted list:

Select the list of items - you can't select the bullets themselves because
they're applied as formatting, not as literal characters.

Then go to Format Bullets & Numbering, on the Multi-Level Numbering page
select the style you prefer. The bulleting will be converted to that style
of numbering *&* the heading level styles will be applied accordingly. If
you don't want to retain the numbering click the Numbering button to remove
it - the heading level styles will remain applied.

You might also want to familiarize yourself with Outline View.

[Note: Your version of Word can make a difference here but you neglected to
provide that piece of information.]

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/23/09 6:19 AM, in article
, "Jimmy
Clay" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You didn't say you were using automatically bulleted paragraphs ...
CyberTaz explained what to do.

On May 23, 6:19*am, Jimmy Clay wrote:
[...]

How do I search for that bullet character?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Clay" wrote:
[...]

I will be starting out with a bullet list created with an online text
editor. I'm using an online editor because I'm doing some of my
project at work during lunch. The online editors only allow lists, not
an actual outline. So I was going to create a bullet list using the
online editor, but at some point it will have to be transferred to my
MS Word at home and I would like to be able to convert it to an actual
outline. The list might be large, so I was hoping to create a macro to
do it.

Also the reason for using the online editor is because my job has all
kinds of filters on the computers and it is difficult to use USB
memory. I can use the online editor. If it's not possible that's okay,
I'll figure something else out. I'm just asking.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

First of all, regardless of your personal preferences re top/bottom posting,
please follow the lead in an established thread. A conversation that bounces
from one end to the other is terribly frustrating & difficult to follow.

As to your current situation, the new revelation about the online text
editor changes everything -- at least potentially. Without any idea how that
program imposes bulleting or what file format it saves in it's little more
than guesswork as to what to do with its output.

The first thing I'd suggest you determine is what file formats it's capable
of saving in. If possible choose RTF -- perhaps it can even save as a Word
file. If you're lucky you may be able to just open the file with Word & have
everything fall into place. Even if not, you may simply be able to select
the list & apply Outline Numbering [Format Bullets & Numbering - Outline
Numbered] in Word.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/23/09 9:09 AM, in article
, "Jimmy

Clay" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Clay" wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I don't what you're talking about on the top/bottom posting or
the following the lead part.