Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rita Rita is offline

Default seperating chapters

My friend is writing a book and has written a chapter that requires to be
split into two chapters. Does anyone know how to do this? Your help would
be much appreciated. Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

How does your friend define "chapters" of a book? If he or she is using a
numbered style for each new chapter, simply applying that style to the
appropriate paragraph should do the trick.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rita" wrote in message
My friend is writing a book and has written a chapter that requires to be
split into two chapters. Does anyone know how to do this? Your help
would
be much appreciated. Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rita Rita is offline

Thank you for your response. As far as she tells me every chapter is in a
different document and the style and page numbering follows through out the
process. Now she wants to change the last chapter into two but it will not
allow her to do so. Any suggestions

"Rita" wrote in message
My friend is writing a book and has written a chapter that requires to be
split into two chapters. Does anyone know how to do this? Your help
would
be much appreciated. Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What does "It will not allow her" mean?

One approach is to rename the existing file with the filename of the
new chapter, and delete from this new file everything that doesn't
belong in the new chapter (i.e., about half the text).

"Rita" wrote in message
My friend is writing a book and has written a chapter that requires to be
split into two chapters. *Does anyone know how to do this? *Your help
would
be much appreciated. Thank you-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rita Rita is offline

Thank you for all the responses. "it will not allow her" she didn't
explain very well what she meant was the document could not be edited
afterwards which means it was write protected. Any way I have done just as
you suggested and e-mailed her the two separated chapters.

"Rita" wrote in message
My friend is writing a book and has written a chapter that requires to be
split into two chapters. Does anyone know how to do this? Your help
would
be much appreciated. Thank you-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stillbreathing stillbreathing is offline

Rita,

This might be a bit too late, but the easiest way I have found is to use the
"Headings" for making a new chapter. Your friend is wise to make each
chapter a new file, but then what I do is to combine all of the individual
chapters together and make a book at the end of the process. Using a heading
of say 1 for the new chapter works well for me then when you go through and
make a Table of Contents it picks it right up and you don't have to worry
about making new pages each time you update your work, you just update the
Table of Contents and it does it autotmatically (at least in Word 2007).

The other great thing about using "headings" is that if you have sections in
your article or chapter, you can make them a different heading like 2, 3,4 or
5.

Again, perhaps late, but something to definitely think about.

Also, when you are done, put the document in Adobe's Acrobat Standard (or
one of the other products that Adobe has for the purpose) and you can put it
into a document that your person can read in Adobe Acrobat Reader so that the
reader can't change what you have written. The product works for Microsoft
Word 2007 and is very fast and efficient, plus people can't steal your work
if you make it secure.

"Rita" wrote in message
My friend is writing a book and has written a chapter that requires to be
split into two chapters. Does anyone know how to do this? Your help
would
be much appreciated. Thank you-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To create another file, you can just use the Save As dialog box, and then
delete the text that you don't want to keep.

Are you saying that there is also a combined document referencing all of the
separate files? If so, that combined document might be created with
INCLUDETEXT fields. You can check this by displaying field codes (Alt+F9 can
be used as a toggle). To include your new document, you would then use
Insert | File (or Insert tab | Object | Text from File in Word 2007). Select
the file you want to include, and then click the arrow on the Insert button,
and choose to Insert as Link.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Chapters.... TJ Gunnz Page Layout 3 January 25th 08 08:28 AM
Mail Merge and seperating individual documents AD Microsoft Word Help 7 January 23rd 08 03:14 PM
TOC and Outline List problem - seperating outline from body text Jane Page Layout 1 July 20th 07 12:13 AM
Seperating/Unlinking Option Button Groups Zakhary Microsoft Word Help 2 October 30th 06 03:36 PM
Assigning Pantone and color seperating, how? Greg Microsoft Word Help 7 August 31st 06 01:25 PM