Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roderick[_3_] Roderick[_3_] is offline

Default Saving on an email attached word document; where is the file now?

I was working on an attachment and was constantly saving on it, I cannot find
it now...can someone tell me where I can find it please!! It's been a half
day of work!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gordon Bentley-Mix Gordon Bentley-Mix is offline

Roderick,

Odds are you won't be able to find the document again. When you open an
attachment directly from an email, it is opened as a "temp" file. This file
is usually located in someplace like "C:\Documents and
Settings\bentleyg\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\". Regardless of
how many times you save the file while it's open (and assuming that you don't
do a 'Save As' and save it to another location), once you close it it's gone.
This behaviour is by design and is intended to prevent an accumulation of
temporary files, which use up disk space and would eventually cause your
system to grind to a halt.

Although there is nothing you can do to recover your work in this instance,
undoubtedly this has been a valuable lesson: always save an attachment and
work on the saved copy.
--
Cheers!

Gordon Bentley-Mix
Word MVP

Uninvited email contact will be marked as SPAM and ignored. Please post all
follow-ups to the newsgroup.

"Roderick" wrote:

I was working on an attachment and was constantly saving on it, I cannot find
it now...can someone tell me where I can find it please!! It's been a half
day of work!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gordon Bentley-Mix[_2_] Gordon Bentley-Mix[_2_] is offline

Roderick,

There may be hope. See
http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com/2...an-attachment/
--

"Roderick" wrote in message
I was working on an attachment and was constantly saving on it, I cannot
find
it now...can someone tell me where I can find it please!! It's been a half
day of work!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You should never open Word attachments directly from e-mail - however if
your e-mail application is Outlook it *may* be possible to recover your
changes. See http://www.gmayor.com/outlook_attachments.htm