Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] existential.philosophy@gmail.com is offline

Default Can Word Automatically Number My Chapters

I have a long document with several chapters. Each chapter is
numbered. When I rearrange chapters, I have to manually correct the
numbers. I'd prefer to have Word automatically number the chapters.
Can it do that?

I've tried using the Format / Bullets and Numbering option. That
doesn't work very well. For instance, all my chapter titles are
formatted in style Heading 1, which includes underlining. When I apply
bullets and numbering to the chapter titles, however, the underline
part of the style doesn't get applied to the chapter numbers. Also, to
get the chapter titles to look the way I want, I have to customize the
Bullets and Numbering option, and it seems to be too full of
inappropriate preset "features", like tabs and indents, that I just
can't get it to look right.

Instead of using Bullets and Numbering, is there a simpler way to do
numbering? For instance, can I insert a code (a field, perhaps?) that
says "Put the next number in the sequence here"?

-TC
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You could use a SEQ field, such as { SEQ Chapter }. Just be aware that SEQ
fields (unlike auto numbering) don't update automatically; you have to force
an update with F9 or by printing or switching to Print Preview.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

wrote in message

[...]

Suzanne,

Thank you for the reply. I did not know about the SEQ field. It is
exactly what I was looking for. I've noticed that you reply to a lot
of the questions posted on this forum. I, for one, appreciate your
effort.

The SEQ field works great, but I am not satisfied with Word's
technique for updating all fields (Ctrl-A F9). It updates fields in
the wrong order (TOC first, then headings, which is backwards), and it
nags me unnecessarily with a question about how to update the tables
of contents (page numbers only vs. entire table). For a better
solution, I wrote the following short procedure and connected it to a
button.

-TC

'UpdateAll
'Updates all fields and tables of contents.
Public Sub UpdateAll()

Dim t As TableOfContents
Dim f As Field

'Loop through all fields.
For Each f In ActiveDocument.Fields
'Update the field.
f.Update
Next

'Loop through all tables of contents.
For Each t In ActiveDocument.TablesOfContents
'Update the entire table.
t.Update
Next

End Sub