AnthonyJames AnthonyJames is offline
Junior Member

Default How to Link to Heading in another Word document

I frequently need to create hyperlinks to sections in another document. I know I can create bookmarks in a document. That will allow me to hyperlink to those specific sections from another document. Is there a way to do this without creating bookmarks. Currently, you can hyperlink to headings within the same document. Why not headings in another document?

Is there a way to convert headings into bookmarks?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

All hyperlinks to a specific location make use of bookmarks, so you can't create
such hyperlinks without bookmarks, no. When you hyperlink a heading in the same
document, Word "sees" the headings and generates a hidden bookmark automatically
for you.

After you have created a hyperlink to a heading, do the following to locate the
hidden bookmark: Place the insertion point inside the hyperlinked heading. Click
Insert | Bookmark. Select "Show hidden bookmarks." You may have to change the
sort order from "Name" to "Location" (or vice versa), and then you'll see the
name in the "Bookmark name" box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP