Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rick Wolfe Rick Wolfe is offline

Default word2007 file not found

I have both word2003 and word2007 on my computer so that I can email other parties who do not have updated versions of Word. When I try to open a docx file on my computer I get a message error indicating the file I want can't be detected. When I click on the file for a second time, it finds it in no time. Each subsequent docx file I click on is easily found. It is the first file after opening up the computer that solicits the not found edict. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

--
Rick Wolfe
General Manager
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Rick

Word 2007 can be set to save in Word 97-2003 format as the default action.
Obviously you will lose a few of Word 2007's additional features, but I'd be
surprised if they are of any significance.

Users of the previous versions (2000 - 2003) can also download the free
compatibility pack that will let them open and edit Word 2007 format in
addition to giving them all the new fonts too.

So I suggest removing Office 2003, reboot, run Office 2007 Setup and choose
Repair to make sure that all the components are now registered correctly in
Windows again which should stop the find files problem.

Finally, go to Word | Options | Save tab and set the Save Files in this
Format option to Word 97 - 2003 (*.doc).

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Rick Wolfe" wrote in message
I have both word2003 and word2007 on my computer so that I can email other
parties who do not have updated versions of Word. When I try to open a
docx file on my computer I get a message error indicating the file I want
can't be detected. When I click on the file for a second time, it finds it
in no time. Each subsequent docx file I click on is easily found. It is
the first file after opening up the computer that solicits the not found
edict. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

--
Rick Wolfe
General Manager
Malaspina Coach Lines
604-885-2217

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rick Wolfe Rick Wolfe is offline

Thank you! Now I remember why I didn't remove 2003 Windows Office files off
my computer. The 2003 version was Small Business and thusly had Publisher.
My 2007 Vista is Deluxe Home and doesn't have Publisher. Since Publisher is
frequently used, I didn't want my ability denied.

--
Rick Wolfe
General Manager

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

You can uninstall Office 2003 but still keep Publisher. You must have
partially done this because you cannot run Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 on
the same computer. I suggest that you do a total uninstall and then run
Office 2003 setup and just install Publisher.

Terry