Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
i dude eclair i dude eclair is offline

Default watermarks and margins and focus

I have a client with unusual letterhead.
I've created a custom watermark as the letterhead image, and a textbox for
the document body.
Margins don't work. They move the watermark.

So ...when the document opens - I need focus to go to the textbox to
prevent the user from entering outside the textbox. By default the cursor
is floating over the watermark image.

is there a simple way to do this? - or prevent the user from typing outside
of the textbox?

thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Don't do it like this! Put the graphic in the first page header view with a
suitable wrap option set to allow the text to avoid it. Fix the text area
with margins. Do not use text boxes for the text.
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

"i dude eclair" wrote in message
7...
I have a client with unusual letterhead.
I've created a custom watermark as the letterhead image, and a textbox for
the document body.
Margins don't work. They move the watermark.

So ...when the document opens - I need focus to go to the textbox to
prevent the user from entering outside the textbox. By default the cursor
is floating over the watermark image.

is there a simple way to do this? - or prevent the user from typing
outside
of the textbox?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
i dude eclair i dude eclair is offline

"Graham Mayor" wrote in
:

Don't do it like this! Put the graphic in the first page header view
with a suitable wrap option set to allow the text to avoid it. Fix the
text area with margins. Do not use text boxes for the text.
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

Don't think inserting it into a header will work.
His graphic runs the entire length of the document, and takes 2" of left
width.

That's why working with the margin 'seemed' appealing - but like I said the
image (as watermark) moved when the margin was changed.

Just to clarify .. the watermark image is the entire page length and width.

thanks for the quick response.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
i dude eclair i dude eclair is offline

"Graham Mayor" wrote in
:

Don't do it like this! Put the graphic in the first page header view
with a suitable wrap option set to allow the text to avoid it. Fix the
text area with margins. Do not use text boxes for the text.
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

figure 7 in your reference is similar.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Exactly. And will work for your purpose. If it's a full-page graphic you can
still anchor it to the First Page Header, Behind Text, but be sure to define
the position relative to the page rather than the margins. You will then be
able to set margins for the document body without affecting it.

If you insist on trying to use Word as a page layout program (which it is
not) instead of a word processor, you will continue to have to fight it.

http://word.mvps.org

"i dude eclair" wrote in message
"Graham Mayor" wrote in
:

Don't do it like this! Put the graphic in the first page header view
with a suitable wrap option set to allow the text to avoid it. Fix the
text area with margins. Do not use text boxes for the text.
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

figure 7 in your reference is similar.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
i dude eclair i dude eclair is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in
:

Exactly. And will work for your purpose. If it's a full-page graphic
you can still anchor it to the First Page Header, Behind Text, but be
sure to define the position relative to the page rather than the
margins. You will then be able to set margins for the document body
without affecting it.

If you insist on trying to use Word as a page layout program (which it
is not) instead of a word processor, you will continue to have to
fight it.

it's the client, kinda single-minded. Has to use Word.

Having better success with ..
full page watermark, and a single-cell table.

Seems to behave better than a textbox.

If this doesn't work out, I may try using html

thanks for the advice
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If you can use a single-cell table, then you can use the document body. Just
put the graphic in the header, Behind Text, as described (which is exactly
what a "watermark" is--a graphic anchored to the header and positioned
relative to the page). You have totally missed the point of my post; I
wasn't suggesting that you use a page layout program (which is actually not
suitable for letters) but that you use Word the way it was intended to be
used. If you have the letterhead in the header where it's supposed to be,
then the focus will automatically be in the document body where you want it.
See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/AnchorToHeader.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"i dude eclair" wrote in message
3...
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in
:

Exactly. And will work for your purpose. If it's a full-page graphic
you can still anchor it to the First Page Header, Behind Text, but be
sure to define the position relative to the page rather than the
margins. You will then be able to set margins for the document body
without affecting it.

If you insist on trying to use Word as a page layout program (which it
is not) instead of a word processor, you will continue to have to
fight it.

it's the client, kinda single-minded. Has to use Word.

Having better success with ..
full page watermark, and a single-cell table.

Seems to behave better than a textbox.

If this doesn't work out, I may try using html

thanks for the advice

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] marsnerok@gmail.com is offline

Wow thanks, Suzanne, all this time I have been using the "watermark" method and experienced the same problems as "I dude.." when adjusting margins to fit body text within the frame of the artwork. It just took me a little tweaking of the image size and voilą!! Now I don't have to worry about explaining borderless printing options and setting margins etc. This makes it so much easier for me and my client!! Thank you thank you!!

*Mars*

Taking Focus Rich Microsoft Word Help 0 September 17th 09 04:54 PM
Loss of Focus mwright Microsoft Word Help 0 December 26th 06 08:24 PM
Textbox(s) not taking focus awrex Microsoft Word Help 3 December 4th 06 01:07 PM
Document out of focus Cor van der Bliek Microsoft Word Help 8 February 8th 05 09:29 AM
Watermarks do not print all letters when using text watermarks Glenn Turner Microsoft Word Help 0 November 29th 04 01:25 AM