Peter2455

Default how can I set the location of the temp word doc file (~XXX.doc)

Each open word document creates a temp file called ~fred.doc in the same
directory as the main document. I was told that you can specify a different
directory for this temp file with Word 2003. Is this true and how is this
done?
Thanks
Pat Garard

G'Day Peter,

AFAIK this is NOT possible - they remain in the same Folder
as the Document being edited.

You can re-locate the "AutoRecover" Files ...
ToolsOptions
File Locations (tab)

.... doesn't seem to be much point in it though.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Peter2455" wrote in message
Each open word document creates a temp file called ~fred.doc in the same
directory as the main document. I was told that you can specify a
different
directory for this temp file with Word 2003. Is this true and how is this
done?
Thanks

peter2455

Thanks for the reply Pat.
i was told that 2003 was more network smart than previous versions. I have
to leave the .doc files in a network drive that is write only with no
delete/modify privileges, and don't want it left full of temp files as well.
Regards
Peter
Also from Melb, Vic.

"Peter2455" wrote in message
Each open word document creates a temp file called ~fred.doc in the same
directory as the main document. I was told that you can specify a
different
directory for this temp file with Word 2003. Is this true and how is this
done?
Thanks

Pat Garard

No such luck!
See:
Regards,
Pat Garard
Melbourne, Australia
_______________________

news

"Peter2455" wrote in message
Each open word document creates a temp file called ~fred.doc in the
same
directory as the main document. I was told that you can specify a
different
directory for this temp file with Word 2003. Is this true and how is
this
done?
Thanks

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Peter,

To add one bit to Pat's reply the feature you may be
thinking of in Word 2003 is in Tools=Options=Save
to "[x] Make local copy of files stored on network or removable drive"
It copies the document from the original location to your
current location of the variable %TEMP% before opening the
document in Word without creating a temp marker file
in the original location. However, you'd still likely
need to be able to delete the old file when you save (write)
the new version back as when you choose save Word moves the
updated temp file to the original .doc location, deletes the
original file and renames the temp file to the original name.

=======
"peter2455" wrote in message news Thanks for the reply Pat.
i was told that 2003 was more network smart than previous versions. I have
to leave the .doc files in a network drive that is write only with no
delete/modify privileges, and don't want it left full of temp files as well.
Regards
Peter
Also from Melb, Vic.
--