Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mdavison mdavison is offline

Default Footnotes and sections

Anyone know of a white paper or info regarding Word 2003 and footnotes in
multiple sections? Can you have symbol footnotes in one section, then
numbered footnotes in another section? Can you have footnotes start over in
the next section at #1?
Thanks so much,
-Monica

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Monica,

You can restart footnotes in each section. Footnote settings are somewhere
in the Insert | Reference | Footnote dialog, possibly requiring another
click on Options (sorry, I don't have Word 2003). After you have changed
the settings, the Cancel button should change to Close, which will let you
exit the dialog while saving the settings, but not inserting a footnote.

I'm finding that you canNOT combine the auto-symbol footnotes and the
auto-numbered footnotes in the same document. However, you could get around
this by using a Custom Mark instead of a symbol note. The custom mark
footnotes are a separate series from the AutoNumber series, and do not
interfere with it. Presumably you don't need that many symbol footnotes.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It may be different in MacWord, but in Word 2003, you *can* use 1, 2, 3
footnotes in one section and *, €*, €¡ in another, and you can set other
settings independently per section as well. For example, in the section that
has the symbol footnotes, I set them to "Restart each page," but the
numbered footnotes in the other section (set to Continuous) were not
affected. The trick is to make sure that "This section" is selected in the
"Apply to" box.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yep, different on the Mac. MacWord doesn't have an "apply to" option for
footnotes at all.

Thanks for the info, Suzanne. I feel a feature request coming on.

On 12/14/06 7:59 PM, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It may be different in MacWord, but in Word 2003, you *can* use 1, 2, 3
footnotes in one section and *, €*, €¡ in another, and you can set other
settings independently per section as well. For example, in the section that
has the symbol footnotes, I set them to "Restart each page," but the
numbered footnotes in the other section (set to Continuous) were not
affected. The trick is to make sure that "This section" is selected in the
"Apply to" box.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Hmm, good to know that this works when you are combining "automatic
symbol" footnotes and numeric footnotes.

When using numeric footnotes (or endnotes), only, it certainly doesn't
work to use different options for different sections (in Word 2003).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
It may be different in MacWord, but in Word 2003, you *can* use 1,

2, 3
footnotes in one section and *, ?, ? in another, and you can set

other
settings independently per section as well. For example, in the

section that
has the symbol footnotes, I set them to "Restart each page," but the
numbered footnotes in the other section (set to Continuous) were not
affected. The trick is to make sure that "This section" is selected

in the
"Apply to" box.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Well, that's the conclusion I drew from your post. I haven't had a
chance to test it myself, yet (currently working with Word 2000).