Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
olitrans olitrans is offline

Default Automating call-out alignment in double-page documents

I am using Word 2003 under Windows XP.

I have received a number of long double-page documents for a university
course, all of which are surprisingly well and consistently formatted. Most
body text paragraphs are accompanied by a short call-out in the outer margin.
The call-out style includes "Keep with next" so that it always stays glued to
the beginning of the home paragraph, even if the latter changes pages. The
formatting also ensures that the call-out stays in the outer margin, i.e.
left on even pages, right on odd pages.

Problem: The call-out has to be right-aligned on even pages, left-aligned on
odd pages, i.e. the flush side of the call-out is always nearest the body
text. In the German source text, this has been done manually, which is
obviously a nuisance and error-prone. Is there any way of automating the
alignment so that the call-out senses whether it is on an even or an odd page
and switches the paragraph alignment accordingly? Alternatively, could one
easily build a macro that would run through the document applying left and
right call-out styles appropriately depending on the page side?
--
olitrans
Technical Translator