Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Geoff Geoff is offline

Default Wordperfect files+ page setup problem

Whenever I open up a Wordperfect file in Word 2007, the text is fine and then
all of a sudden it stops for about half a page. So a 5 page document becomes
10 pages. The blank spaces are "locked" as in I cant backspace the text up so
it connects with the other text. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Geoff wrote:
Whenever I open up a Wordperfect file in Word 2007, the text is fine
and then all of a sudden it stops for about half a page. So a 5 page
document becomes 10 pages. The blank spaces are "locked" as in I cant
backspace the text up so it connects with the other text. Anybody
have any ideas? Thanks

The first thing to look at is the paragraph formatting of the first
paragraph after a blank space (right-click in the paragraph and choose
"Paragraph"). The most likely cause is on the Line & Page Breaks tab of the
dialog -- is the "Page break before" option checked?

Also check the Space Before setting of that paragraph, and the Space After
setting of the paragraph before the blank space.

Turn on nonprinting characters (press the ¶ button on the Home ribbon) and
make sure there are no section breaks or page breaks there.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To add to what Jay has said, for several versions now the WordPerfect
converters have tended to insert numerous section breaks (often one per
page) into converted WP documents. It's probably the section breaks that are
causing your problem. You may find it easier to see these breaks in Draft
view, but you can also search for them using ^b as a search term.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
Geoff wrote:
[...]

so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Geoff Geoff is offline

I went to each paragraph and looked at the paragraph settings and the "page
breaks before" option was not checked, I switched it on and off, and there
was no difference.
I then turned on the non printing characters and could see the continuous
page break labels. However, I could not delete them. It was just like trying
to click on the the break area of the page: It gave no options, like it was
locked. The probelm persists.... Any more suggestions?

Geoff wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You should be able to just click to the left of a section break to select
it, then press Delete. Is the document protected in any way?

Geoff wrote:
[...]

newsgroup
so all may benefit.