Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lee Morehead Lee Morehead is offline

Default Chapter Number in the Header and Page number in the footer

Hello I need to figure out how to place the Chapter number of a document in
the header of a document and just the page number in the footer. I can see
how to put the chapter and page number in either the footer or header but not
a way to separate the to.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Use a StyleRef field to insert the chapter number. For example, if Heading 1
contains the chapter number, use this field:

{ STYLEREF "Heading 1" \n }

If you've included the word "Chapter" as part of your numbering and want to
omit it in the reference, add the \t switch as well.

Word's Help topic "Field codes: StyleRef field" explains the syntax and
switches.

"Lee Morehead" wrote in message
Hello I need to figure out how to place the Chapter number of a document
in
the header of a document and just the page number in the footer. I can see
how to put the chapter and page number in either the footer or header but
not
a way to separate the to.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lee Morehead Lee Morehead is offline

This actually did what I wanted but I couldn't get any of the options to give
me both the numbering and the heading title in the title. If I don't choose
any of the options it will give me the heading text. If I choose any of the
options it only gives me the numbering. Example I have my heading 3 numbering
set up to yield Investigation x. Where the first entry would be like this:
Investigation 1 Sinking a Straw

With no options selected I get "Sinking a Straw" in my header. If I select
any options I get "Investigation 1" in my header. What would I need to do if
I wanted "Investigation 1 Sinking a Straw" in my header?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Use a StyleRef field to insert the chapter number. For example, if Heading 1
contains the chapter number, use this field:

{ STYLEREF "Heading 1" \n }

If you've included the word "Chapter" as part of your numbering and want to
omit it in the reference, add the \t switch as well.

Word's Help topic "Field codes: StyleRef field" explains the syntax and
switches.

"Lee Morehead" wrote in message
Hello I need to figure out how to place the Chapter number of a document
in
the header of a document and just the page number in the footer. I can see
how to put the chapter and page number in either the footer or header but
not
a way to separate the to.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Use two fields, one with options and one without, this will give the effect
you want.
Hope this helps
DeanH