Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Journey51 Journey51 is offline

Default Heading Tabs and Indents Keep Changing

Hi--
I change the position of my tab and indent for numbered headings (like,
Heading 1, Heading 2, and Heading 3), update the style throughout the
document for the heading, but when I close the document and open it back up,
it's right back where it was before. This is so weird! Help, please!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Journey51 Journey51 is offline

Hi--thanks so much for getting back to me!! I REALLY appreciate your help! : )
If I understand what you are saying, at first it was in the paragraph (the
text part of the heading?) dialog. I would tell the text to be, say,
indented and tabbed .5". So, now all my text has the correct spacing between
the heading number and text. Now, all my headings are indented 0.13" from
the left margin. I will correct it, updated it, save it, but when I close
the file and reopen, the headings are right back to being 0.13" from the left
margin. I might add, this is a rather large file (300 pages, 14MB+) and put
together from several files.

Have a good evening!

"Journey51" wrote in message
Hi--
I change the position of my tab and indent for numbered headings (like,
Heading 1, Heading 2, and Heading 3), update the style throughout the
document for the heading, but when I close the document and open it back

up,
it's right back where it was before. This is so weird! Help, please!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I'm not sure exactly what you've done, but you need to modify the style
itself, and you need to do it through the Numbering dialog, as all the
settings governing left and hanging indents and the tab stop for text after
the number are all set there and override any settings you may make in the
Paragraph dialog.

For more help with setting up outline numbering, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you changing the indents in the Numbering dialog or in the Paragraph
dialog? The former override the latter.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Journey51" wrote in message
Hi--
I change the position of my tab and indent for numbered headings

(like,
Heading 1, Heading 2, and Heading 3), update the style throughout the
document for the heading, but when I close the document and open it

back
up,
it's right back where it was before. This is so weird! Help, please!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Journey51 Journey51 is offline

Thanks, again, for your reply. I thought I have tried modifying the style,
but perhaps not in the way you've described. I'll give your link a try and
let you know. Have a great weekend!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I'm not sure exactly what you've done, but you need to modify the style
itself, and you need to do it through the Numbering dialog, as all the
settings governing left and hanging indents and the tab stop for text after
the number are all set there and override any settings you may make in the
Paragraph dialog.

For more help with setting up outline numbering, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Journey51 Journey51 is offline

Your link worked! Thank you so much--you are a lifesaver! I'd still be at
this if not for you. You're the best!!