Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Stephen Ford Stephen Ford is offline

Default Word mail merge "Unable to Obtain List of Tables from Data Source"

Office 2003
XP SP2 (up to date with MS Update)

In mail merge I get "Unable to Obtain List of Tables from Data Source"

Use Tools Letters and MailingsMail Merge and get to Select from Outlook
contacts and the above error occurs.

I am new to Word mail merge.

I think my office installation is pretty standard. I don't go in for unusual
setup.

Outlook has many contacts and I want to select contact info to unclude in a
merge document. The document being displayed is blank. I was thinking of
selecting recipients and then figuring out how to insert fields and so on.
--
Regards
Stephen Ford

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Typically when working with Outlook contacts it is more reliable and more
flexible to initiate the merge from Outlook - i.e. go into Outlook, select
some contacts, then open Outlook Tools|Mail merge..., study the options, and
go for it.

If you prefer to do it the other way,
a. be aware that the field names of Outlook contact fields differ depending
on how you get the contacts,
b. someone recently posted the following suggestion which seems to me to be
a good thing to try first:

Here's a resolution which has worked for me. I HOPE it helps in your
particular case.

Two steps:

1) Go to Tools / Email Accounts
a. Select "View or change existing directories or address
books", then Next.
b. There SHOULD be an "Outlook Address Book" type MAPI
directory there--but it's most likely missing.
If it's missing, click Add / Additional Address
Books / Outlook Address Book
c. Close and re-open Outlook.

2) In Outlook, right-click on the main Contact folder and go to the
"Outlook Address Book" tab. It's likely the checkbox is de-selected.
Select the checkbox, click Apply, and OK. *Do this for EACH Contact
sub-folder is they exist.

That's it. This has consistently resolved the "Unable to obtain list
of tables from the data source" error.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Stephen Ford" wrote in message
Office 2003
XP SP2 (up to date with MS Update)

In mail merge I get "Unable to Obtain List of Tables from Data Source"

Use Tools Letters and MailingsMail Merge and get to Select from Outlook
contacts and the above error occurs.

I am new to Word mail merge.

I think my office installation is pretty standard. I don't go in for
unusual setup.

Outlook has many contacts and I want to select contact info to unclude in
a merge document. The document being displayed is blank. I was thinking of
selecting recipients and then figuring out how to insert fields and so on.
--
Regards
Stephen Ford

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Stephen Ford Stephen Ford is offline

Ok Peter, Thx
I will have a play around, see what happens and report back.
Happy New Year.
--
Regards
Stephen

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Stephen Ford Stephen Ford is offline

I followed the given process but the address book was already available and
the check-box ticked. The error message remains. If you have any other ideas
they would be welcome.

In the meantime I am going through the Word merge tutorial. Maybe I will
pick up ideas along the way...

Stephen Ford

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Instead of just checking to see if it is present (which you confirm it is)
delete the address book (this will not delete the contacts list) then add it
again. This will rebuild the address book from the contacts list.

Stephen Ford wrote:
I followed the given process but the address book was already
available and the check-box ticked. The error message remains. If you
have any other ideas they would be welcome.

In the meantime I am going through the Word merge tutorial. Maybe I
will pick up ideas along the way...

Stephen Ford

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Stephen Ford Stephen Ford is offline

I've completely lost my way with this. I noted some time ago that the
instruction

1) Go to Tools / Email Accounts
a. Select "View or change existing directories or address
books", then Next.

is not exact. I happened to find the various dialogues by by accident. I
can't find them now. Tools / Email Accounts doesn't exist. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Tools E-mail accounts is in Outlook 2003. In Outlook 2007 it is at File
Data File Management Address Books.