Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
janetb

Default Word file open/save stops responding

When using file open or file save, Word/Excel both stop responding. Have no
network shares mapped. Installed registry key according to kb918165.
Repaired Office XP professional. Uninstalled and reinstalled. When trying
to open option tools and modify file save setting, application hangs also.

Cannot use Office right now. Really could use some help.

Thanks,
Janet

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
janetb

Suzanne,
That did it. So, just hang around until Wednesday and install the fix of
the fix?

Janet

"janetb" wrote:

When using file open or file save, Word/Excel both stop responding. Have no
network shares mapped. Installed registry key according to kb918165.
Repaired Office XP professional. Uninstalled and reinstalled. When trying
to open option tools and modify file save setting, application hangs also.

Cannot use Office right now. Really could use some help.

Thanks,
Janet

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yep. I've got Automatic Updates running semi-automatically (it prompts me to
download the updates and then prompts me again when they're ready to be
installed), and as soon as I uninstalled that update, it notified me that
"Windows Updates are available for download." It was the same one again, of
course. I declined it and checked the box for "Don't show me this one
again." When I am reasonably certain that the updated update is available,
there's a command in Automatic Updates to "Offer updates that I've
previously hidden." That will cause AU to offer that one again.

"janetb" wrote:

When using file open or file save, Word/Excel both stop responding.

Have no
network shares mapped. Installed registry key according to kb918165.
Repaired Office XP professional. Uninstalled and reinstalled. When

trying
to open option tools and modify file save setting, application hangs

also.

Cannot use Office right now. Really could use some help.

Thanks,
Janet

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Howdego

Suzanne,
Looks like I have the same problem, and your solution seems a lot better
than the registry mumbo jumbo in the Microsoft memo. But, could you tell me
how to remove the 908531 update. I have never run into this before. Thanks.

"janetb" wrote in message
When using file open or file save, Word/Excel both stop responding. Have

no
network shares mapped. Installed registry key according to kb918165.
Repaired Office XP professional. Uninstalled and reinstalled. When

trying
to open option tools and modify file save setting, application hangs also.

Cannot use Office right now. Really could use some help.

Thanks,
Janet

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs. If you have Windows XP, check the box
for "Show updates" so the hotfix will be listed.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Try uninstalling the 908531 update and wait for the revised version to

be
available next Tuesday.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"janetb" wrote in message
When using file open or file save, Word/Excel both stop responding.

Have
no
network shares mapped. Installed registry key according to kb918165.
Repaired Office XP professional. Uninstalled and reinstalled. When

trying
to open option tools and modify file save setting, application hangs

also.

Cannot use Office right now. Really could use some help.

Thanks,
Janet

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ceci

I'm also struggling with this and I'm on deadline.. grrrr! How does one
uninstall the 908531 update? I was ready to try the registry fix until I
read your reply to Janet.
Thanks in advance for you help..

"janetb" wrote in message
When using file open or file save, Word/Excel both stop responding. Have

no
network shares mapped. Installed registry key according to kb918165.
Repaired Office XP professional. Uninstalled and reinstalled. When

trying
to open option tools and modify file save setting, application hangs also.

Cannot use Office right now. Really could use some help.

Thanks,
Janet

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Stacey

I also had a similar problem and was beginning to despair. Thank you,
Suzanne, for your timely solution.

"janetb" wrote:

When using file open or file save, Word/Excel both stop responding.

Have no
network shares mapped. Installed registry key according to kb918165.
Repaired Office XP professional. Uninstalled and reinstalled. When

trying
to open option tools and modify file save setting, application hangs

also.

Cannot use Office right now. Really could use some help.

Thanks,
Janet

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ceci

Thanks, Suzanne, I hadn't thought of clicking on "Show Updates" in the
Add/Remove program area. I'm back in business!

"janetb" wrote:

When using file open or file save, Word/Excel both stop responding.

Have no
network shares mapped. Installed registry key according to kb918165.
Repaired Office XP professional. Uninstalled and reinstalled. When

trying
to open option tools and modify file save setting, application hangs

also.

Cannot use Office right now. Really could use some help.

Thanks,
Janet

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Changing the registry is the prefered approach because uninstalling leaves
the security hole. For some, the registry change still isn't enough. Suzanne
was recommending that for those people.

Add/Remove Software Control panel
Make sure the option to view updates is checked.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Try uninstalling the 908531 update and wait for the revised version to be
available next Tuesday.

so
all may benefit.

"janetb" wrote in message
When using file open or file save, Word/Excel both stop responding.
Have

no
network shares mapped. Installed registry key according to kb918165.
Repaired Office XP professional. Uninstalled and reinstalled. When

trying
to open option tools and modify file save setting, application hangs
also.

Cannot use Office right now. Really could use some help.

Thanks,
Janet

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CRANKY

"janetb" wrote:

When using file open or file save, Word/Excel both stop responding.

Have no
network shares mapped. Installed registry key according to kb918165.
Repaired Office XP professional. Uninstalled and reinstalled. When

trying
to open option tools and modify file save setting, application hangs

also.

Cannot use Office right now. Really could use some help.

Thanks,
Janet

Susanne,

Will the update that fixes the ineffective hotfix be a different number/id?
And how does one use HotFix to actually repair the problems we all seem to be
having where Word 2002 'program is not responding', when we try to Save a
document?

Another problem is that every new blank document I access, isn't blank. It
shows MERRY CHRISTMAS at the top of each page.

Would I be better off purchasing a brand new WinWord disc, newer Office
Version, instead of going through this mess?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, your "Merry Christmas" problem can perhaps be helped by
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm. As for the hotfix,
the updated one that's available now (same number, supposedly) didn't help
me, so I may end up having to uninstall it again.

"janetb" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jose Jose is offline

Hi, I've looking for a solution to this problem (on Excel, it takes a very
long time to open and save a 800Kb document through the network, it only
happnes in one PC) and it seems that the solution is to uninstall that KB. I
found it under the add/remove progams, but it says This Program Cannot be
Uninstalled.

Any tips?