Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave Horne Dave Horne is offline

Default Normal.dotm was being edited by another Word seesion ...

I'm using Office 2007 and since very recently, it seems every time I open a
Word document, when I close it, I am confronted with a 'Normal.dotm was
being edited by another Word session. ... etc. prompt"

If I close the document in question I see an empty Microsoft Word window
that is empty.

What gives? How do I avoid these unnecessary prompts from Word? Does this
have anything to do with any recent Window Updates?

Thanks, DH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave Horne Dave Horne is offline

OK ... I took some notes ....

1. I double click on an existing Word document (*.doc)

2. I make no changes and exit *.doc

3. an empty Microsoft Word (Office 2007) window is displayed, I close

4. I then receive a Micorsoft Office Word prompt:

The file is in use by another application or user.
(C:\Users\dave\AppDate\...Normal.dotm)
I click "OK"

5. 'Save As' window opens with file name Normal.dotm

6. I go to Save and then receive a MS Office Word prompt - This File is
read-only.
(C:\Users\dave\AppData\...\Normal.dotm ... click 'OK' ...

and I am told # 6 all over again

What is going on? I didn't have this a few weeks ago. This is a legitimate
version of Office 2007 and Vista Home Premium.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

It would seem you have installed some thing that has an incompatible plug-in
in Word. To test this, start Word in Safe Mode. From Start, Run (Winkey+R)
type in

winword /a

and press enter. This starts Word in its default install mode bypassing
absolutely everything. If it opens and closes correctly now, then it proves
a third party add-in is the problem. See how to find add-ins

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...sInstalled.htm

Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Dave Horne" wrote in message
OK ... I took some notes ....

1. I double click on an existing Word document (*.doc)

2. I make no changes and exit *.doc

3. an empty Microsoft Word (Office 2007) window is displayed, I close

4. I then receive a Micorsoft Office Word prompt:

The file is in use by another application or user.
(C:\Users\dave\AppDate\...Normal.dotm)
I click "OK"

5. 'Save As' window opens with file name Normal.dotm

6. I go to Save and then receive a MS Office Word prompt - This File is
read-only.
(C:\Users\dave\AppData\...\Normal.dotm ... click 'OK' ...

and I am told # 6 all over again

What is going on? I didn't have this a few weeks ago. This is a
legitimate version of Office 2007 and Vista Home Premium.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave Horne Dave Horne is offline

Terry, I think that did it ... or improved the situation. I deselected an
add-on to send Word faxes through Skype. I still have that empty opened
window when I close down the document in question, but I am not not prompted
for anything.

Also, if I right click the original (to Open) instead of double clicking to
Open, only the document itself opens and that 'extra' empty window does not.

At least I'm on the right path. Thanks! DH

"Dave Horne" wrote in message
OK ... I took some notes ....

1. I double click on an existing Word document (*.doc)

2. I make no changes and exit *.doc

3. an empty Microsoft Word (Office 2007) window is displayed, I close

4. I then receive a Micorsoft Office Word prompt:

The file is in use by another application or user.
(C:\Users\dave\AppDate\...Normal.dotm)
I click "OK"

5. 'Save As' window opens with file name Normal.dotm

6. I go to Save and then receive a MS Office Word prompt - This File is
read-only.
(C:\Users\dave\AppData\...\Normal.dotm ... click 'OK' ...

and I am told # 6 all over again

What is going on? I didn't have this a few weeks ago. This is a
legitimate version of Office 2007 and Vista Home Premium.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

It sounds like you are on the correct path. You should also check out the
FAQ that includes closing problems which may help too:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

Terry

"Dave Horne" wrote in message
OK ... I took some notes ....

1. I double click on an existing Word document (*.doc)

2. I make no changes and exit *.doc

3. an empty Microsoft Word (Office 2007) window is displayed, I close

4. I then receive a Micorsoft Office Word prompt:

The file is in use by another application or user.
(C:\Users\dave\AppDate\...Normal.dotm)
I click "OK"

5. 'Save As' window opens with file name Normal.dotm

6. I go to Save and then receive a MS Office Word prompt - This File is
read-only.
(C:\Users\dave\AppData\...\Normal.dotm ... click 'OK' ...

and I am told # 6 all over again

What is going on? I didn't have this a few weeks ago. This is a
legitimate version of Office 2007 and Vista Home Premium.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave Horne Dave Horne is offline

Terry, Thanks! Be sure to take something out of petty cash for your
efforts. DH

"Dave Horne" wrote in message
OK ... I took some notes ....

1. I double click on an existing Word document (*.doc)

2. I make no changes and exit *.doc

3. an empty Microsoft Word (Office 2007) window is displayed, I close

4. I then receive a Micorsoft Office Word prompt:

The file is in use by another application or user.
(C:\Users\dave\AppDate\...Normal.dotm)
I click "OK"

5. 'Save As' window opens with file name Normal.dotm

6. I go to Save and then receive a MS Office Word prompt - This File
is read-only.
(C:\Users\dave\AppData\...\Normal.dotm ... click 'OK' ...

and I am told # 6 all over again

What is going on? I didn't have this a few weeks ago. This is a
legitimate version of Office 2007 and Vista Home Premium.

Normal.dotm Sinclair Microsoft Word Help 10 January 8th 08 07:38 PM
Normal.dotm Rick Microsoft Word Help 1 August 30th 07 06:45 AM
Convert normal.dot in W2000 to normal.dotm in W2007 Why did I update Microsoft Word Help 3 August 8th 07 09:42 PM
Word 2007 wants to, but can't save Normal.dotm JSL Microsoft Word Help 1 February 23rd 07 07:37 PM
Word 2007: Where is Normal.dotm Oskar Busch New Users 1 July 25th 06 11:17 PM