Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Larissa25 Larissa25 is offline

Default Table of contents picking up body text

My friend created a document in Word 2003 with a table of contents after her
title page that keeps picking up body text. I've looked everywhere in her
paragraphs that appear in the TOC for formatting issues, but they all show
body text as their heading style. Her TOC settings are only set to pick up
Heading 1, 2 and 3. She has formatting that changes every few paragraphs
(headings, body text, quotes, long quotes, etc.), so I can't change the
entire document and then reformat the headings because it would create more
work than it saves. Any idea what's going on? I feel like I've looked
everywhere for this problem.

Also, the option to only update the page numbers doesn't appear until after
I've done the first update of the entire field. Any ideas why? The TOC looks
all nice and pretty now, because she keeps sending it to me and I would fix
it in Word 2000 with the "update page numbers only", but I'd like to fix this
for her once and for all.
Thanks in advance,
-Larissa
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Table of contents picking up body text

Hi Larissa,

It sounds like your friend's table of contents is picking up body text instead of just the headings she wants to include. Here are a few things you can try to fix the issue:
  1. Check the heading styles: Make sure that the headings your friend wants to include in the table of contents are formatted with the correct heading style. In Word 2003, these are Heading 1, Heading 2, and Heading 3. To check the style of a heading, select the text and look at the Style drop-down menu on the Formatting toolbar. If the heading is not formatted with the correct style, apply the correct style to the text.
  2. Update the table of contents: After checking the heading styles, update the table of contents to see if the issue is resolved. To update the table of contents, right-click on the table of contents and select "Update Field." In the dialog box that appears, select "Update entire table" and click "OK." This will update the table of contents to reflect any changes in the document.
  3. Modify the table of contents settings: If the table of contents is still picking up body text, you may need to modify the table of contents settings. To do this, right-click on the table of contents and select "Table of Contents" from the menu. In the dialog box that appears, click on the "Options" button. Here, you can select which heading styles to include in the table of contents. Make sure that only the desired heading styles are selected and click "OK" to save the changes.

As for the issue with updating page numbers, it's possible that Word is not recognizing the table of contents as a field until it has been updated once. Once you update the field the first time, Word should recognize it as a field and give you the option to update just the page numbers. If this is not the case, you may need to modify the table of contents settings as described above.

PHP Code:
// No macro or Visual Basic code in the text
__________________

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This may be the fault of using the Document Map. You'll find some fixes for
that issue here, including a quick way to remove outline levels from body
text, and a quick way to exclude that text from the TOC.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/DocumentMap.htm

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Larissa25 Larissa25 is offline

Wow! Thanks a million! Yay for being able to blame it on a glitch and not
user-error (at least, that's what I'll tell myself). That was really helpful,
and I appreciate the detailed info.
-Larissa

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
deltotum deltotum is offline

Hello,

I've been having this problem with Word 2007 as well. I've checked
everything you have suggested below (checking the TOC field codes for body
text, running a macro to clean it up, etc.), but still run into the same
scenario: The TOC is picking up text that is part of the embedded paragraphs
instead of just the heading.

I appreciate any help.
Thanks!

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] harbpaul@gmail.com is offline

Hi Susanne,

I am trying to get some help on the TOC issue: could you please specify how to make sure that Body Text has not been given an outline level in the field code?

What I did is I set a different style for all the paragraphs than the one used for the headings, but the TOC is still picking the text in the paragraph. Please help.

Thanks in advance,

Paul HARB

"Larissa25" wrote in message
[...]

Richard_Ong Richard_Ong is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Ms. Mitchell, your fix worked like a charm. I did use the "detect and repair" feature under Help but I think the fix for using the Document Map is what did it. It so happens that I never use DM but day before yesterday I happened to come across a reference to it and, since I have such a long document that's a little hard to navigate at times, I thought I'd look at it again to see if it offered a better solution to my navigation needs.

I think DM did a lot of damage as I was having to go thru every page of the document to the ctrl-shift-N command to make particular lines of "normal" style text stop showing up in the TOC. It actually got so bad when I would update the TOC field to find the next erroneous entry that the TOC lost all its formatting (indents, leaders, bolding).

All appears to be well now and even the problematic text I hadn't gotten to now behaves and has disappeared from the TOC without further effort on my part.

Blessings on you and yours.

[quote=Larissa25;194649]Wow! Thanks a million! Yay for being able to blame it on a glitch and not
user-error (at least, that's what I'll tell myself). That was really helpful,
and I appreciate the detailed info.
-Larissa

[color=blue][i]