Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rupert Bear Rupert Bear is offline

Default Forum fromat

Sir /Madam.
It is amazing to find that so many questions in this
forum come with spelling mistakes in them, how is it that other less well
known forums have an inbuilt spellchecker when this one [if my powers of
observation are correct,] does not? Please consider adding one as the
mistakes, some due to sheer bad spelling whilst others are due to people just
being too lazy to read their letter through before sending, is quite
unbelievable.
Second suggestion; Why is it that every reply to a
letter is prefixed with all the correspondence that has gone before on the
subject. This makes for [if I may be permitted to say so] rather boring
reading when all one wants to do is read the answer. I don't offer these
comments in a critical manner, simply to enhance the forum somewhat.

Yours hopefully RB

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you access via the Usenet server rather than the forum, you can use the
spell checker of your newsreader - http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm

The issue of spelling is a thorny one as the education system no longer
places much weight on the ability to spell correctly (probably because the
educators often cannot spell correctly either). When answering many queries
it is simple for the odd typo to slip through. This is a very informal
medium and while good grammar and spelling are desirable qualities, it is
the help provided that has the greater importance.

The inclusion of the questions and answers that have gone before are not
only desirable but essential. The Microsoft Forums are simply windows into a
wider Usenet forum. Those of us who regularly contribute access that server
directly and our newsreaders are setup to discard messages after a given
time because of the amount of traffic involved. It is essential when
replying to know what has gone before.

I am surprised you didn't also raise the issue of top and bottom posting, as
this pops up from time to time also Preference here seems more
attributable to the newsreading software than to any issue of style. FWIW I
use Outlook Express, so prefer top posting. If you don't like that - tough!

Rupert Bear wrote:
[...]

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the
button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft
Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.