Stan

Default When I type a comma (,) or semicolon (;) in a Word document...

......it shuts down. I don't know what happened, it was working fine before.
When I'm typing in a Word (2000 version) document and I enter a comma or
semicolon, an error message appears and then closes/shuts down when I close
the box. How do I get Word back to working normal again? And here's
something more weird... When I enter a comma within a series of #'s, there
seems to be no problem. It seems to be only when I'm entering a comma in
between words which causes the Error Message to appear. Help! Oh, I have
Windows XP Professional as the operating system.

Stan

So basically, what should I do? Thanks for the website, I just want to be
sure I don't mess things up. So if you could break it down for me, that
would help a lot. Anyone else, please chime in. Thanks.

Stan

Stan wrote:
.....it shuts down. I don't know what happened, it was working fine
before. When I'm typing in a Word (2000 version) document and I enter
a comma or semicolon, an error message appears and then closes/shuts
down when I close the box. How do I get Word back to working normal
again? And here's something more weird... When I enter a comma
within a series of #'s, there seems to be no problem. It seems to be
only when I'm entering a comma in between words which causes the
Error Message to appear. Help! Oh, I have Windows XP Professional
as the operating system.

Stan

Ok. I followed all the instructions in that link. It still didn't elimate
the problem. I didn't find any files containing (~$*do?) and I deleted any
files in C:\Windows\Temp folder. I realize now that it's not the semicolon
that's giving me problems, but it's the colon ( and the comma (,).
Thanks for your help thus far.

Stan

Stan wrote:
.....it shuts down. I don't know what happened, it was working fine
before. When I'm typing in a Word (2000 version) document and I enter
a comma or semicolon, an error message appears and then closes/shuts
down when I close the box. How do I get Word back to working normal
again? And here's something more weird... When I enter a comma
within a series of #'s, there seems to be no problem. It seems to be
only when I'm entering a comma in between words which causes the
Error Message to appear. Help! Oh, I have Windows XP Professional
as the operating system.

Graham Mayor

The temporary files are normally hidden - you need to set Windows Explorer
to display hidden files before you can delete them. Any time Word crashes
these files are left behind. Their presence may be malign, but removal while
desirable may not correct the problem.

If you are using an operating system since Windows ME, the temporary folder
is in your user area
C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Temp

This is explained in the web page

Problems such as you are experiencing are rarely caused by the software, but
are the result of outside influence which is why the original suggestions
were made. Did you start Word in safe mode as suggested in the
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm page? Did that fix
it? If so one of other of the suggestions in that page will correct it
permanently. If not the problem goes deeper. You could then start by
repairing Word, but you might look to virus or spyware related problems. But
eliminate the obvious first.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You should follow the suggestions in those articles, for a start.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

Stan wrote:
.....it shuts down. I don't know what happened, it was working
fine before. When I'm typing in a Word (2000 version) document
and I enter a comma or semicolon, an error message appears and
then closes/shuts down when I close the box. How do I get Word
back to working normal again? And here's something more weird...
When I enter a comma within a series of #'s, there seems to be no
problem. It seems to be only when I'm entering a comma in
between words which causes the Error Message to appear. Help!
Oh, I have Windows XP Professional as the operating system.

Stan

It seems to be working now. I started with the /a switch and it seems to be
ok. After that I didn't use the switch and it still works. Don't know how
it's fixed (?), but for now it works. Thanks for your help.

Stan