Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
djhintze djhintze is offline

Default How do I break URL address over two lines?

I am trying to enter website addresses into footnotes and Word automatically
forces the footnote onto a separate line. I need to conform to certain
aditing requirements and want the url to start right after the citation and
continue on to however many lines are necessary, but not leave a gap because
it starts the url on a separate line in the footnote. Help please.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

In the edit hyperlink dialog, put the URI in both the Address and Text-to-
display boxes. That way you can use a space or linebreak to wrap the display
text to the next line without affecting the hyperlink ability. Hyphens will
work too, but that might be misleading to readers who have to type the URI.

Pam

djhintze wrote:
I am trying to enter website addresses into footnotes and Word automatically
forces the footnote onto a separate line. I need to conform to certain
aditing requirements and want the url to start right after the citation and
continue on to however many lines are necessary, but not leave a gap because
it starts the url on a separate line in the footnote. Help please.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cheryl Flanders Cheryl Flanders is offline

In Word 2000 and above, you can make a hyperlink wrap by inserting a
zero-width space character immediately after a delimiter character
(such as a forward slash). You must create the hyperlink first and
then insert the zero-width space, otherwise the hyperlink won't work.

If you have non-printing characters displayed, the zero-width space
displays as a bordered box.

Cheryl

On Nov 23, 12:16*pm, djhintze
wrote:
I am trying to enter website addresses into footnotes and Word automatically
forces the footnote onto a separate line. I need to conform to certain
aditing requirements and want the url to start right after the citation and
continue on to however many lines are necessary, but not leave a gap because
it starts the url on a separate line in the footnote. Help please.

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I break URL address over two lines?

I understand your concern. Here's how you can break a URL address over two lines in Microsoft Word:
  1. First, insert the URL into your footnote as you normally would.
  2. Place your cursor where you want to break the URL.
  3. Press the "Enter" key to create a line break.
  4. Type a hyphen (-) or a slash (/) at the end of the first line of the URL.
  5. Press "Enter" again to create another line break.
  6. Continue typing the rest of the URL on the new line.

By adding a hyphen or slash at the end of the first line, you are indicating that the URL continues on the next line. This will prevent Word from automatically starting a new line for the URL in the footnote.

Another option is to use a URL shortener like bit.ly or tinyurl.com to create a shorter link that can fit on one line. Simply paste the shortened link into your footnote instead of the full URL.

My table won't break lines across pages Cheryl Tables 1 July 19th 07 10:26 PM
No page break lines Aurora Page Layout 1 July 10th 06 01:00 PM
break lines are showing martie-c Microsoft Word Help 1 May 12th 06 11:52 PM
office 2003-return address is 3 lines./but prints all on 2 lines tomh Microsoft Word Help 0 June 14th 05 01:51 AM
Hide Page Break Lines? Steve C. Formatting Long Documents 1 March 26th 05 07:35 AM