Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

Default Searching for anything BUT a particular character

I have a very large document (currently 644 pages) that was written by a
flatulent weasel who thinks punctuation is only for liberal arts majors and
other wimps. One of his very common errors is to omit periods at the end of
paragraphs.

Is there any way to search for "*^p" where * stands for any character BUT a
period? If I could systematically search for all paragraphs that end with
anything but a period I could make sure I don't miss any instances of this
error. (I've already deleted Space^p and Space-Space^p.)

I'm still using Word 2003 on XP Professional.

Thanks,

Fred
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Turn on wildcard searching and use the search term

([!.])^13

and the replacement term

\1.^p

The expression [!.] means "any character that isn't a period". See
http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Idaho Word Man wrote:
I have a very large document (currently 644 pages) that was written
by a flatulent weasel who thinks punctuation is only for liberal arts
majors and other wimps. One of his very common errors is to omit
periods at the end of paragraphs.

Is there any way to search for "*^p" where * stands for any character
BUT a period? If I could systematically search for all paragraphs
that end with anything but a period I could make sure I don't miss
any instances of this error. (I've already deleted Space^p and
Space-Space^p.)

I'm still using Word 2003 on XP Professional.

Thanks,

Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Hi Jay.
I use this find formula all the time but I wonder if you can help with an
extention of this wildcard use.
How can I get this to not just to ignore Periods (Full Stop) immediately
followed by paragraph mark, but also Question Marks and Colons at the same
time?
Many thanks for your assistance.
DeanH

Idaho Word Man wrote:
I have a very large document (currently 644 pages) that was written
by a flatulent weasel who thinks punctuation is only for liberal arts
majors and other wimps. One of his very common errors is to omit
periods at the end of paragraphs.

Is there any way to search for "*^p" where * stands for any character
BUT a period? If I could systematically search for all paragraphs
that end with anything but a period I could make sure I don't miss
any instances of this error. (I've already deleted Space^p and
Space-Space^p.)

I'm still using Word 2003 on XP Professional.

Thanks,

Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Dean,

You can list as many characters as you like within the square brackets. If
any of them are "special" wildcards as described in Graham's article, they
have to be preceded by a backslash to say you're searching for the actual
character and not things that match the wildcard; in your case, only the
question mark is in that class. So the search term would be

([!\?.:])^13

to ignore any question mark followed by a paragraph mark, any period
followed by a paragraph mark, or any colon followed by a paragraph mark.

I can't quite tell from your question whether you also want to ignore
question marks and colons that are *not* followed by a paragraph mark. I
don't think that can be combined with the previous search term in one
expression.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Turn on wildcard searching and use the search term

([!.])^13

and the replacement term

\1.^p

The expression [!.] means "any character that isn't a period". See
http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Idaho Word Man wrote:
I have a very large document (currently 644 pages) that was written
by a flatulent weasel who thinks punctuation is only for liberal
arts majors and other wimps. One of his very common errors is to
omit periods at the end of paragraphs.

Is there any way to search for "*^p" where * stands for any
character BUT a period? If I could systematically search for all
paragraphs that end with anything but a period I could make sure I
don't miss any instances of this error. (I've already deleted
Space^p and Space-Space^p.)

I'm still using Word 2003 on XP Professional.

Thanks,

Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

That is it, Jay, "you're the man"
You got the message spot-on.
I always forget about the slash to denote multiple "individual" characters,
that precede a paragraph mark.
Many thanks
DeanH