Ron Watt Ron Watt is offline
Junior Member

Location: Ottawa
Question Lines Print below Footer in Show Markup

Since updating a number of .dotm templates using Word2007 on Windows7 in early 2012, these documents, when printed in Show Markup mode (with balloons), two horizontal black lines appear below the footer. See the attached PDF for an example.

Grateful for any help or ideas on removing these confounded lines!

The two lines below the footer are evident when the document is printed, or "printed" to the "Adobe PDF" printer driver.
The lines are inset from the left margin progressively (ie. as if cut&pasted).

Curiously, the lines disappear if you Save As PDF from within Word.

These lines are not evident within the document.
They do not seem to be:
- paragraph borders (no borders on the header/footer paragraph marks)
- hr lines created 3 --- or === characters (not evident anywhere)
- collapsed boxes (could not find ^g (graphics), save for ...)
- footnote separators (deleting the footnote separator didn't help)

It may be related to document conversion, or corruption. Maintain Compatibility with Word 97-2003 is selected.
I'd prefer not to rebuild the documents, but will if that's warranted. Is it?

Happy to clarify other points, or share a sample document.

Grateful for any help or ideas on removing these confounded lines!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Document2.pdf (17.5 KB, 386 views)

Last edited by Ron Watt : August 10th 12 at 04:26 PM Reason: Clarification of request - need help or ideas on fixing this.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default Lines Print below Footer in Show Markup

It would be more helpful if you attached a *Word* document for us to look at.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ron Watt" wrote in message ...

[...]

|Filename: Document2.pdf |
|Download: http://www.wordbanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=139|

Ron Watt
Ron Watt Ron Watt is offline
Junior Member

Location: Ottawa
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post
It would be more helpful if you attached a *Word* document for us to look at.
You can do that? Yes you can. But filesize limits get in the way.
The two documents in the zip attached are the source word document, and that same document, printed to the Adobe PDF driver.
If you Save as PDF in Word, the lines do not appear in the PDF.

Hope that helps.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Testing print as PDF.zip (86.2 KB, 275 views)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I can't reproduce this on my system when printing to a PDF converter called
CutePDF. It seems as if the problem is with the Adobe PDF printer driver.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ron Watt" wrote in message ...

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;493075']
It would be more helpful if you attached a *Word* document for us to
look at.

You can do that? Yes you can. But filesize limits get in the way.
The two documents in the zip attached are the source word document, and
that same document, printed to the Adobe PDF driver.
If you Save as PDF in Word, the lines do not appear in the PDF.

Hope that helps.

|Filename: Testing print as PDF.zip |
|Download: http://www.wordbanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=143|

Ron Watt

Ron Watt Ron Watt is offline
Junior Member

Location: Ottawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post
I can't reproduce this on my system when printing to a PDF converter called
CutePDF. It seems as if the problem is with the Adobe PDF printer driver.
Does it happen with a hardcopy printer? That's the main issue.
That it happened with both [the Adobe PDF printer driver, and my physical printer (Ricoh Aficio 2800) driver] was an issue.

PS. Print Preview does not show _below_ the footer, where this occurs.

Last edited by Ron Watt : August 30th 12 at 09:29 PM Reason: clarification.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I haven't had the opportunity to test with a physical printer yet. My home
computer currently lacks a printer. :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ron Watt" wrote in message ...

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;493078']I can't reproduce this on my system when printing to a PDF
converter called
CutePDF. It seems as if the problem is with the Adobe PDF printer
driver.

Does it happen with a hardcopy printer? That's the main issue.
That it happened with both was an issue.

Ron Watt

Ron Watt Ron Watt is offline
Junior Member

Location: Ottawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post
I haven't had the opportunity to test with a physical printer yet. My home
computer currently lacks a printer. :-(
Anyone else been able to replicate this? Anyone have ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Twayne Twayne is offline

In ,
Ron Watt typed:
'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;493084']I haven't had the opportunity to test with a
physical printer yet. My home
computer currently lacks a printer. :-(

Anyone else been able to replicate this? Anyone have
ideas?

To see what will print, all you need is that printer's drivers loaded and do
a print preview.