Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Wood Jim Wood is offline

Default Grayscale option in Word 2007

Earlier versions of Word had a Format/Picture option of changing an imported
color picture to grayscale or even 1-bit black-and-white. I have found most
of the other commands, but can't find this one. Is it there, or do photos
and scans have to be 'decolorized' before they are imported into Word?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Right-click on the picture - Format picture - Picture - Recolor - Color
modes - the fist one is grayscale.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Jim Wood" wrote in message
Earlier versions of Word had a Format/Picture option of changing an
imported
color picture to grayscale or even 1-bit black-and-white. I have found
most
of the other commands, but can't find this one. Is it there, or do photos
and scans have to be 'decolorized' before they are imported into Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Wood Jim Wood is offline

Thanks, JoAnn,

That was easy! What I miss, however, is an indication of the change
having been done. Before you could click the photo, open the Format/Picture
box, and see that the color photo had been reset to grayscale. The grayscale
icon in Word '07 does not appear to be highlighted or otherwise indicate that
the clicked photo adheres to that option.

Jim

"Jim Wood" wrote in message
Earlier versions of Word had a Format/Picture option of changing an
imported
color picture to grayscale or even 1-bit black-and-white. I have found
most
of the other commands, but can't find this one. Is it there, or do photos
and scans have to be 'decolorized' before they are imported into Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

I'm not real sure what you mean. When I click on grayscale, the picture
changes immediately. I don't need an icon to tell me my graphic has changed
when I can see it for myself.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Jim Wood" wrote in message
Earlier versions of Word had a Format/Picture option of changing an
imported
color picture to grayscale or even 1-bit black-and-white. I have found
most
of the other commands, but can't find this one. Is it there, or do
photos
and scans have to be 'decolorized' before they are imported into Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Wood Jim Wood is offline

Yes, right you are. BUT... if I have a grayscale picture to begin with,
and scan it normally, it's imported into Word with all the 'color'
information intact, just as if it were a color shot to begin with. It sure
looks gray on the screen, but I'm nervous that the printshop will call and
say, "hey, is this a black and white job or not?" Perhaps I just don't
understand how Word saves pictures in its internal format, but I figured that
if a photo was converted to grayscale within Word, then it is saved as
grayscale and all the color information is gone.
I had this very problem with Publisher files that I saved as PDFs and
sent to a shop to make film positives for silkscreening. Some logos and line
drawings within Publisher were TIFs, and they sure looked like 1-bit black
and white images, but the shop called and insisted that there was either RGB
or CMYK data associated with them. I had to pull those images into an Adobe
program and re-save them as grayscale, even though they looked black and
white (only) to begin with. Then when I put them back into Publisher and
made a new PDF the film shop was happy. I don't know why they would complain
about color files when the film itself was monochromatic, but it gave their
output device fits.

"Jim Wood" wrote in message
Earlier versions of Word had a Format/Picture option of changing an
imported
color picture to grayscale or even 1-bit black-and-white. I have found
most
of the other commands, but can't find this one. Is it there, or do
photos
and scans have to be 'decolorized' before they are imported into Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you print a "color" B&W image to a color printer, the black will be
created as a composite of the inks in the color cartridge instead of black
ink. My commercial printer frequently complains about the camera-ready copy
he gets that is composite black. All my CRC is laser-printed, so that's not
an issue, but evidently it's quite a problem for printers using traditional
offset techniques, who have to shoot film.

http://word.mvps.org