Northern_Wolf Northern_Wolf is offline
Junior Member

Default Letterhead Printing

Hi,

My company has a regular word document template called letterhead.dotx. We use it for most documents. We send these documents to several other companies, dozens in fact.

The largest company is having a problem printing these documents. When they print the document, from any station, it forces the print on THEIR company letterhead. I have spoken with their IT support, who claims it is the documents problem, something about tags or embedded pre-print commands.

I did not create this template, nor can I contact the person who did. I am not familiar with creating templates or what is involved.

But this issue HAS to be fixed, and I do not know what to do.

Thanks for any help.

NW
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

When you send your document, its properties say that it is attached to a
template named "letterhead." This company doesn't have your template but
does have one of its own called "letterhead.dotx," and, at a guess, this
template contains an AutoOpen macro that updates the attached
document with the current letterhead (so that any document based on that
template, when printed, will always be printed with the current version of
the letterhead). It's unlikely that you'll be able to get them to change the
name of their template, but you can change the name of yours to Northern
Wolf Letterhead.dotx or whatever.

http://word.mvps.org

--
Northern_Wolf

Northern_Wolf Northern_Wolf is offline
Junior Member

Hrm.

One thing to make clear:

When I say it forces them to print on their company letterhead, I mean that specific tray in the printer.

It does not change the format of the document in any way, it simply will ONLY print to the printer set up on theri network that holds their letterhead.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
MrBudgens MrBudgens is offline

Does your document specify the paper tray to use (rather than
"default")? In Word 2003 this is in file--page setup, and in 2007 it
is on the page layout tab under page setup (click the tiny icon in the
bottom right of that section).

If the paper tray is specified in Word it will override the printer
driver settings, if this is what you mean by "print on their letterhead".

Another option is to send PDFs instead of word documents, if you have
the facility (built in to 2007).

Northern_Wolf wrote:
Hi,

My company has a regular word document template called letterhead.dotx.
We use it for most documents. We send these documents to several other
companies, dozens in fact.

The largest company is having a problem printing these documents. When
they print the document, from any station, it forces the print on THEIR
company letterhead. I have spoken with their IT support, who claims it
is the documents problem, something about tags or embedded pre-print
commands.

I did not create this template, nor can I contact the person who did.
I am not familiar with creating templates or what is involved.

But this issue HAS to be fixed, and I do not know what to do.

Thanks for any help.

NW

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word, without the help of macros, does not store the printer information
with the document. It does store the tray information (page setup paper),
provided the printers used have the same tray access codes.

It apepars that either you have a Print field in the document - Press ALT+F9
to display fields - which is addressing the printer driver directly, or you
have a macro solution - such as http://www.gmayor.com/Associate_Printer.htm

"Northern_Wolf" wrote in message

Hrm.

One thing to make clear:

When I say it forces them to print on their company letterhead, I mean
that specific tray in the printer.

It does not change the format of the document in any way, it simply
will ONLY print to the printer set up on theri network that holds their
letterhead.

--
Northern_Wolf

Northern_Wolf Northern_Wolf is offline
Junior Member

Thank you for your responses!

No, there is no special settings in the page setup area, all trays are set to "Default (Automatically Select)".

I cannot send PDF's as the users at this company do need to make occasional changes to the documents.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Or the tray setting directs the document to the tray that holds their
letterhead.

http://word.mvps.org

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
[...]

Graham,

The only codes that Alt-F9 reveal are NUMPAGES in the header.

No special Add-in or macro has been created to associate this document with a printer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Mayor View Post
[...]

Suzanne,

Tray setting where, in the document itself or on their network?

I see no custom tray setting in the document properties.

Jack32 Jack32 is offline
Banned

Designs and quality of letterhead is very essential and this is the opportunity that you have to present your company to someone. Letterhead printing creates an image about quality of your products and services.