Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
vtsun vtsun is offline

Default Merge Eliminates Records with Duplicate Last Names

I am doing a merge from Excel into Word using Office 2003. The document I'm
creating is just a listing of names separated by a comma. My problem is that
the merge is omitting records where the last name is the same as another
record even though the first names are different. For example, there is John
Smith and Jane Smith but only John Smith is listed.

I have the document set up as:

FName LName, [Next Record]

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get all the names to merge?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

It looks as if you have a Next record field that should not be there (it
will make Word skip every other record). Delete it.

If your merge is set up as a "Form Letters" merge, change it to be a
"Directory" merge (if you don't know how, enable the MailMerge toolbar in
Word Tools|Customize, then click the first button).

Peter Jamieson
"vtsun" wrote in message
I am doing a merge from Excel into Word using Office 2003. The document I'm
creating is just a listing of names separated by a comma. My problem is
that
the merge is omitting records where the last name is the same as another
record even though the first names are different. For example, there is
John
Smith and Jane Smith but only John Smith is listed.

I have the document set up as:

FName LName, [Next Record]

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get all the names to
merge?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
vtsun vtsun is offline

Thank you. I did have it set up for Directory. I had to change the format to:

FName LName, [Next Record] FName LName

Once I did that then it merged all the records.

Thanks for your help.