Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kim kim is offline

Default Can't access word documents not created in remote desktop connecti

I typically work from home connecting to my office using the remote desktop
connections and I save all my word and excel documents on an external hard
drive connected to the server. Today I went into the office and connected to
a work station that is directly linked to the server and couldn't access my
word documents that were saved on the external hard drive, but I could access
the excel documents. Anybody have any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:33:00 -0700, Kim wrote:

I typically work from home connecting to my office using the remote desktop
connections and I save all my word and excel documents on an external hard
drive connected to the server. Today I went into the office and connected to
a work station that is directly linked to the server and couldn't access my
word documents that were saved on the external hard drive, but I could access
the excel documents. Anybody have any ideas?

Exactly what does "couldn't access" mean? Do you mean the files weren't
available, maybe because of a permission problem? Or that you tried to open them
in Word but you got an error message (if so, exactly what did the message say)?
Or that they opened but weren't editable? No one will be able to help you until
you provide more details.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kim kim is offline

Default Can't access word documents not created in remote desktop conn

When I double clicked on the document to open it, it opens up word but
there's no document there. Then if I click on file and open and find the
document, it opens up but I can't edit or maniupulate it in any way. Before
posting this I read of others talking about "permissions", where do I find
that and what do I need to set them at?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

If the document opens at all, and if Excel documents in the same location
can open, then permissions problems are unlikely. You can worry about that
after eliminating all other possibilities.

Try this: Open Word with a blank document. Go to the File Open dialog,
select one of the problem documents, click the down arrow on the right end
of the Open button, and choose "Open and Repair". Can you edit the document
now?

Another thing to try, if possible, is to move the Word documents to a drive
that isn't external. The thinking here is that Word always creates temporary
files in the same folder that holds the original document, and there might
be a problem (bad timing or limited space) with creating those files on the
external drive.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kim kim is offline

Tried all of the above and still nothing works. I also tried to create a new
document and save it to the desktop and then I doubleclicked on the document
on the desktop to try to open it and it won't open. Just opens up word but
the document doesn't pop up.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

In Word, click Help Detect and Repair, which runs the installer in repair
mode. (You can get to the same place by going to Control Panel Add/Remove
Programs, selecting Office, clicking the Change button, and choosing the
Repair option.) If you have damaged registry entries or support files, that
may fix them.

If that still doesn't help, read
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

If the document opens at all, and if Excel documents in the same
location can open, then permissions problems are unlikely. You can
worry about that after eliminating all other possibilities.

Try this: Open Word with a blank document. Go to the File Open
dialog, select one of the problem documents, click the down arrow on
the right end of the Open button, and choose "Open and Repair". Can
you edit the document now?

Another thing to try, if possible, is to move the Word documents to
a drive that isn't external. The thinking here is that Word always
creates temporary files in the same folder that holds the original
document, and there might be a problem (bad timing or limited space)
with creating those files on the external drive.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.