Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MDKimzey MDKimzey is offline

Default Some captions do not appear in Insert Cross-references dialog

Hello,

I have a Word 2007 SP1 document with twenty tables. Each table was
captioned by selecting the table, right-click and select €śInsert caption€¦€ť
menu item. All captions appear in the text of the document above each table
€“ none are in text boxes. When I try to insert a table reference with Insert
Cross-reference, several of the table captions are missing from the Insert
Cross-reference dialog.

Updating all fields (Ctrl-A, F9) does not change the result (the same
captions are consistently missing in Insert Cross-reference).

Below is a table caption that does appear in Insert Cross-references

Table { SEQ Table \* ARABIC } Cargo Manifest of Containers and Items
successfully packed by the VCE

Below is a specific table caption that does not appear in Insert
Cross-references:

Table { SEQ Table \* ARABIC } Cargo Items not packed in containers
Would anyone be able to shed some light on this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Could some of the captions have been inadvertently formatted as hidden?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"MDKimzey" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a Word 2007 SP1 document with twenty tables. Each table was
captioned by selecting the table, right-click and select "Insert caption."
menu item. All captions appear in the text of the document above each
table
- none are in text boxes. When I try to insert a table reference with
Insert
Cross-reference, several of the table captions are missing from the Insert
Cross-reference dialog.

Updating all fields (Ctrl-A, F9) does not change the result (the same
captions are consistently missing in Insert Cross-reference).

Below is a table caption that does appear in Insert Cross-references

Table { SEQ Table \* ARABIC } Cargo Manifest of Containers and Items
successfully packed by the VCE

Below is a specific table caption that does not appear in Insert
Cross-references:

Table { SEQ Table \* ARABIC } Cargo Items not packed in containers
Would anyone be able to shed some light on this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jishaq jishaq is offline

"MDKimzey" wrote:

[...]

I have a similar problem for which I'd like help. I have a 27-page document
with 22 tables, for which I have been using 'Track Changes' extensively. As
a standard, I insert a cross-reference to each table in-line in the text; for
example, "As the listing in Table 5 shows, bla bla bla" (where 'Table 5' is
inserted as a cross-reference.)

I wasn't having any problems for a while. Then, something bad happened, and
now when I go to insert a cross-reference, the "Cross-reference" dialog shows
a corrupted list of tables from which to pick. Right now, it shows:

Table 1: Global Lookup content
Table 1: Global Lookup content
Table 2: Global Lookup Items database params
Table 2: Global Lookup Items database params
Table 15: Map Items db params
Table 15: Map Items db params

Obviously there is repetition, and only 3 of my 22 tables show up in the
list. If I do Shift-F9 and update all, it isn't fixed. If I close out and
re-open the document, it isn't fixed.

Please help. I installed Word 2007 SP1, though I don't know where Word 2007
has hidden the "About" menu command, so I can't produce the exact version of
Word I am using at the moment.

Thanks,
-Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jishaq jishaq is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you tracking changes?

Hi Suzanne,

Yes, I have "track changes" enabled, and I usually switch from "Final
Showing Markup" to just "Final" when editing. After I've submitted a version
of this document to our developers, I do a global "Accept All Changes" and
then re-enable "Track Changes" -- not sure if this is important.

Something else I thought of -- to save time creating tables, I
copy-and-paste an existing one instead, and then just modify the pasted
instance. In doing this, I am also copy-and-pasting the CAPTION. I tried
going through my document and deleting entire captions for each table ("Table
4: Blabla"), and creating a new caption, thinking perhaps the copy-and-paste
was accidentally copying the table's REF UID and thus causing the duplicate
entries I am seeing. Didn't seem to fix the problem.

Strangely, the next time I opened this document to work on it, I see most of
my tables show up in the "Cross Reference" list .. however, there is still
something amiss:

Tables 1-12 show up fine. then I see (captions truncated by me):

Table 1312: Smart ...
Table 1413: Lookup...
Table 15: List...
Table 1614: Custom...
Table 1715: Format...
Table 1816: Format 2...

Something is really messed up with this document! Any ideas?

Thanks much.
-Jeff

http://word.mvps.org

"jishaq" wrote in message

"MDKimzey" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In general, numbering (of footnotes, paragraphs, captions, etc.) will not be
ironed out till changes are accepted.

http://word.mvps.org

"jishaq" wrote in message

"MDKimzey" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jishaq jishaq is offline

"grammatim" wrote:

You need to Accept all Changes that have anything to do with the
numbering of tables.

Very interesting! Thanks for that workaround.

Obviously, this is a bug. If I am using "Track Changes" to edit a document,
then chances are I'm ... well, editing the document! And as such, I would
expect the ability to insert a cross-reference to a table to work correctly
during this process. This seems like a very common use case.

Thank you,
-Jeff