Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JackBlack JackBlack is offline

Default Lifespan of metadata in a Word doc (2k3, 2k3)

What is the lifespan of any metadata in a Word document? Let's say a
document has been created, TrackChanges enabled, and the document passed
amongst a group of people. When "Accept Changes" is selected, what, if any,
metadata remains in the document? What data can be mined from that document
that relates to past comments, changes, bubbles, etc?

There's a lot of concern about what might still be in a document when it's
sent out in it's final form, and my users don't trust the "there no metadata
in the document after it's finalized" kind of statements. What can be done
to reassure them? And if no metadata exists, why is the creation of
"scrubbers" lately such a big topic?

Any comments and input greatly appreciated!
Jack

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Have a look at these articles:

How to Minimize Metadata in Word
WD97:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=223790
WD2000:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=237361
WD2002:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290945

Remove Hidden Data add-in for Office 2003 and Office XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=834427

Protecting Personal Data in Your Word 2003 Documents
http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/odc_wd2003_ta/html/odc_WDProtectWord2003.asp"Accept Changes" removes only tracked changes. Metadata in documentsencompasses a lot more than that.The Hidden Data add-in doesn't necessarily remove quite everything. I don'thave a list of the items it doesn't search for, but I recall hearing fromthe developer that there are a few obscure low-probability bits that wouldmake the search take a very long time.As for why "scrubbers" are a hot topic, I think it's mostly just paranoia.Are ghosts real? If not, why is "Medium" such a popular show?--Regards,Jay FreedmanMicrosoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.orgEmail cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup soall may benefit.JackBlack wrote: What is the lifespan of any metadata in a Word document? Let's say a document has been created, TrackChanges enabled, and the document passed amongst a group of people. When "Accept Changes" is selected, what, if any, metadata remains in the document? What data can be mined from that document that relates to past comments, changes, bubbles, etc? There's a lot of concern about what might still be in a document when it's sent out in it's final form, and my users don't trust the "there no metadata in the document after it's finalized" kind of statements. What can be done to reassure them? And if no metadata exists, why is the creation of "scrubbers" lately such a big topic? Any comments and input greatly appreciated! Jack