Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Candla2 Candla2 is offline

Default Space before/after paragraphs

I'm not really sure how to phrase my question, so I'll try to describe what
I'm seeing and hopefully someone can tell me how to correct/change it.

If I set 6 pt before and 6 pt after for all paragraphs within a section of
my document, in some of my documents Word actually only applies the 6 pt
before on the first paragraph of the "section" and not on the rest. Whereas
in other documents, the 6 pt before is applied to all paragraphs in the
document. In the first case, the result is that I have 6 pt before the first
paragraph, 6 pt between all paragraphs, and 6 pt after the last paragraph.
In the second case, the result is that I have 6 pt before the first
paragraph, 12 pt between all paragraphs, and 6 pt after the last paragraph.
(In case you're wondering, the first case is the preferred.) Formatting on
both documents appears to be the same (I've even copied the format from one
document to the other), formatting on all paragraphs in the section appear to
be the same, the check box for not adding space between paragraphs of the
same style is not selected for any of the paragraphs. The only difference I
can think of between the documents is the first case was created using Word
2007, while the second was upgraded to Word 2007 from a previous version.

Any ideas on how I can make both documents behave the same?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Check the compatibility options. In the document where you see 12 pt space
between the paragraphs, I think you have the "Dont use HTML paragraph auto
spacing" turned on whereas it is turned off in the documents with 6 pt
spacing.

It the option is turned on, space after and space before are added. If the
option is turned off, only the largest value of the two is used for the
spacing.

In Word 2003, you will find the compatibility options he
Tools Options Compatibility tab.

In Word 2007, you will find the compatibility options he
Office button Word Options Advanced category. Close to the bottom of the
dialog box, click the +-sign next to "Layout options"

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Candla2" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Or else, in the Format Paragraph panel for the style, the box for
"don't add space between paragraphs of the same style," which becomes
available when Space Before or Space After is used, is checked.

"Candla2" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

That option is not selected (the OP said: "...the check box for not adding
space between paragraphs of the same style is not selected for any of the
paragraphs...").

In this case, that option could not have been the problem anyway since it
would have suppressed all space between the paragraphs.