Al

Default files will not open

When I try to open a word file, I get a message that says file is not available
garfield-n-odie

Hi, Al. Disable the Office Plugin that comes with Symantec/Norton
AntiVirus. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820 "How to use
Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in" for more info.

Al wrote:

When I try to open a word file, I get a message that says file is not available

Eric

what if I do not have norton antivirus and I get the same message? Currently
I run McAfee virus scan. I have all ready tried reinstalling microsoft
office, but it doesnt work. please reply

Al wrote:

When I try to open a word file, I get a message that says file is not available

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kiki Kiki is offline

I'm having the same problem but I do not run norton antivirus on my computer
I use AVG...Any ideas?

Thank you!

Al wrote:

When I try to open a word file, I get a message that says file is not available

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

First see how to re-register Word when problems crop up opening files
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm and if that doesn't
fix it select a document in Windows Explorer, right click and choose Open
with...

From the ensuing dialog select Word (winword.exe) and check the box to
always open with this application.

Al wrote:

When I try to open a word file, I get a message that says file is
not available

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shane Shane is offline

Sorry for past two posts - working out how to use this service.

I have tried both the re-registering and Open With solutions to no avail.
Word simply gives me the message @The file ....is not available" whenever I
try to open any of my word documents.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

First see how to re-register Word when problems crop up opening files
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm and if that doesn't
fix it select a document in Windows Explorer, right click and choose Open
with...

From the ensuing dialog select Word (winword.exe) and check the box to

Al wrote:

When I try to open a word file, I get a message that says file is
not available

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Does http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940791/en-us?spid=11377 address it?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

First see how to re-register Word when problems crop up opening files
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm and if that
doesn't fix it select a document in Windows Explorer, right click
and choose Open with...

From the ensuing dialog select Word (winword.exe) and check the box
to always open with this application.

Al wrote:

When I try to open a word file, I get a message that says file is
not available

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shane Shane is offline

Graham,

Thanks for your assistance.

I have tried the process in 940791 but, unfortuately, it has not fixed the
problem.

I can copy the files to an external memory and use them on another computer,
but Word in my main computer will just not make them available to use on that
computer.

Shane

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

First see how to re-register Word when problems crop up opening files
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm and if that
doesn't fix it select a document in Windows Explorer, right click
and choose Open with...

From the ensuing dialog select Word (winword.exe) and check the box