Berlie

Default Bottom Border for Headers?

How can I create a bottom border below on all headers in a section except the
first page?

I can see how to create a page border that places a border above the headers
but not below them.

I tried inserting a bottom border in the header view but it does not place a
border under the entire header area and on the odd (? may have been the even)
pages it doesn't go under the page numbers.

Any suggestions?

To have a different header on the first page of a section (different in any
way, including borders), you must check the "Different first page" box on
the Layout tab of Page Setup. This gives you a separate First Page Header in
which you can insert different text or format it differently. For more, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

"Berlie" wrote in message
news
How can I create a bottom border below on all headers in a section except

the
first page?

I can see how to create a page border that places a border above the

headers
but not below them.

I tried inserting a bottom border in the header view but it does not place

border under the entire header area and on the odd (? may have been the

even)
pages it doesn't go under the page numbers.

Any suggestions?

Berlie

Thank you,

I understood how to make the first page header different, but how do I add a
bottom border to the headers?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

To have a different header on the first page of a section (different in any
way, including borders), you must check the "Different first page" box on
the Layout tab of Page Setup. This gives you a separate First Page Header in
which you can insert different text or format it differently. For more, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

"Berlie" wrote in message
news
How can I create a bottom border below on all headers in a section except

the
first page?

I can see how to create a page border that places a border above the

headers
but not below them.

I tried inserting a bottom border in the header view but it does not place

border under the entire header area and on the odd (? may have been the

even)
pages it doesn't go under the page numbers.

Any suggestions?

Format | Borders and Shading. Select the desired border style and weight,
then click on the bottom of the square in the preview. For more, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/Borders.htm If you want to add the
border to the header style, then you'll need two different header styles.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

To have a different header on the first page of a section (different in

any
way, including borders), you must check the "Different first page" box

on
the Layout tab of Page Setup. This gives you a separate First Page

Header in
which you can insert different text or format it differently. For more,

see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Berlie" wrote in message
news
How can I create a bottom border below on all headers in a section

except
the
first page?

I can see how to create a page border that places a border above the

headers
but not below them.

I tried inserting a bottom border in the header view but it does not

place
border under the entire header area and on the odd (? may have been

the
even)
pages it doesn't go under the page numbers.

Any suggestions?

Berlie

Thank yo for the help,

I put up an image to try to help explain the problem I am trying to solve.
When I do add the border to the header style this is the result I get:
http://berlie.com/headerborder.gif

As you can see the border doesn't extend underneath the page numbers
properly. What I am trying to do is have it like this but have the border
extend out across the entire bottom of the header including the page numbers.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Format | Borders and Shading. Select the desired border style and weight,
then click on the bottom of the square in the preview. For more, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/Borders.htm If you want to add the
border to the header style, then you'll need two different header styles.

Stefan Blom

Did you insert the page number via InsertPage Numbers? If so, Word
put it inside a little frame. Also, Word seems to add some right
indent to the paragraph in the header when inserting the frame. You
can set the indent back to zero in FormatParagraph to make the border
extend to the right margin.

Alternatively, with the cursor inside the header area, instead of
using a paragraph border, draw a line using the Line button on the
Drawing toolbar.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Format | Borders and Shading. Select the desired border style and

weight,
then click on the bottom of the square in the preview. For more,

see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/Borders.htm If you want to

add the
border to the header style, then you'll need two different header

styles.

I haven't looked at your GIF but would guess that Stefan has summed up the
problem. Don't use Insert | Page Numbers to insert your page numbers.
Instead, insert them as part of the header itself. For safe removal of
existing page numbers, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...lyIndented.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Format | Borders and Shading. Select the desired border style and

weight,
then click on the bottom of the square in the preview. For more, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/Borders.htm If you want to add the
border to the header style, then you'll need two different header

styles.

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Bottom Border for Headers?

Yes, you can create a bottom border below all headers in a section except the first page by following these steps:
  1. Double-click on the header of the second page (or any page after the first page) to open the Header & Footer Tools tab.
  2. Click on the Design tab in the Header & Footer Tools tab.
  3. In the Options group, check the box for "Different First Page".
  5. In the Header & Footer Tools tab, click on the Design tab.
  6. Click on the Page Borders button in the Page Background group.
  7. In the Borders and Shading dialog box, click on the Page Border tab.
  8. In the Setting section, select the "Box" option.
  9. In the Style section, select the type of line you want for the border.
  10. In the Color section, select the color you want for the border.
  11. In the Apply to section, select "This section - First page only".
  12. Click OK to apply the border to the first page only.
  14. In the Header & Footer Tools tab, click on the Design tab.
  15. Click on the Page Borders button in the Page Background group.
  16. In the Borders and Shading dialog box, click on the Page Border tab.
  17. In the Apply to section, select "This section - All except first page".
  18. Click OK to apply the border to all headers in the section except the first page.

That's it! Now you have a bottom border below all headers in a section except the first page.