Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michael Koerner Michael Koerner is offline

Default Can't Seem To Get It To Work

Using Office 2003 SP(2) trying to use the mailmerge feature to create two
sets of labels using Excel as the data source

I would like to be able to create a set of labels where the Country =
Canada, and a set of labels where the Country Canada, both using the
same excel spreadsheet.

I have tried using the SKIPIF command. I have worded the two templates like
this

{SKIPIF { MERGEFIELD Country = "Canada" }}
Rest of merge information

{SKIPIF { MERGEFIELD Country "Canada" }}
Rest of merge information

For some reason when I use the template (= Canada) I get no labels with any
information at all. When I use the second one ( Canada) I get all the
labels both Canada and US

Which brings me to the end of my mailmerge knowledge. any suggestions would
be greatly appreciated.

--

Regards
Michael Koerner

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

SKIPIF doesn't work with label merges because it doesn't do what you
probably expect (which is simply to SKIP a record) - what it actually does
is SKIP to the next record, stop processing the current copy of the mail
merge main document, and start processing a new copy of the mail merge main
document.

What you really need to do is filter the records for each merge - I would
enable the MailMerge toolbar (Tools|Customize) then open the Mail Merge
recipients (3rd button from the left), click the drop-ddown at the top of
the Country column, then either select "Canada" (if you see it), or click
Advanced... and set a filter Country Equal to Canada. Then close the dialog
boxes, save the mail merge main document (e.g. as Canada.doc). Re-open,
check it merges correctly. Then do the same thing, set a filter to Country
Not Equal To Canada, save as NotCanada.doc.

Peter Jamieson
"Michael Koerner" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

For Starters,

{SKIPIF { MERGEFIELD Country = "Canada" }}

should be

{SKIPIF { MERGEFIELD Country } = "Canada" }

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michael Koerner Michael Koerner is offline

Should be is what I do have. Just mistyped when I created the post

--

Regards
Michael Koerner

For Starters,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michael Koerner Michael Koerner is offline

Thanks Peter, will give it a try. Do I have to set it for each label on the
page? Dumb question I know.

--

Regards
Michael Koerner

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michael Koerner Michael Koerner is offline

Disregard the dumb question. Your suggestion worked like a charm. Thank you
very much.

--

Regards
Michael Koerner