La Vonna

Default How do I make mail merge sort data source entries automatically?

Earlier versions of word would automatically sort entries to my data source
as I input them but since I have gotten office pro 2003 it doesn't do it
anymore. Now everytime I add an entry I have to view the source and sort it
manually. Is there a setting that I can change that will make Word do this
for me?

La Vonna

The data is stored in a word table that mail merge created.

I used office 2000 before.

Thanks for your help!!
La Vonna

"La Vonna" wrote:

Earlier versions of word would automatically sort entries to my data source
as I input them but since I have gotten office pro 2003 it doesn't do it
anymore. Now everytime I add an entry I have to view the source and sort it
manually. Is there a setting that I can change that will make Word do this
for me?

Cindy Meister

OK, now I can visualize what you mean :-)

You can still work with the previous interface to enter and manage your Word
table data. In the 2002/2003 section of my website's mail merge FAQ you'll
find instructions on how to access the older interfaces.
http://homepage/swissonline.ch/cindymeister

-- Cindy

"La Vonna" wrote:

Earlier versions of word would automatically sort entries to my data source
as I input them but since I have gotten office pro 2003 it doesn't do it
anymore. Now everytime I add an entry I have to view the source and sort it
manually. Is there a setting that I can change that will make Word do this
for me?

La Vonna

Okay, I am sorry but I still can't find what I am looking for or maybe I am
just not knowledgable enough to know that the answer is right in front of me.
Let me explain.

I have a list of addresses, that I am always updating, from which I print
envelopes. In the 2000 mail merge, when I opened the data form and added a
new entry and hit close, mail merge would automatically resort the table to
make it conform to the sort order that I previously saved. Now every time I
add a new entry I have to click on the view source button that opens the
table and resort it manually. Is there any way to make mail merge do that by
itself again?

"La Vonna" wrote:

Earlier versions of word would automatically sort entries to my data source
as I input them but since I have gotten office pro 2003 it doesn't do it
anymore. Now everytime I add an entry I have to view the source and sort it
manually. Is there a setting that I can change that will make Word do this
for me?

La Vonna

Okay, thank for all of your help though. I really appreciate it.

"Cindy Meister" wrote:

No, there isn't.

-- Cindy

"La Vonna" wrote:

Earlier versions of word would automatically sort entries to my data source
as I input them but since I have gotten office pro 2003 it doesn't do it
anymore. Now everytime I add an entry I have to view the source and sort it
manually. Is there a setting that I can change that will make Word do this
for me?

La Vonna

I actually found the answer to this thanks to your help!. I opened the Mail
Merge Helper and clicked on the query options button. Then I entered the
sort order that I wanted and it worked!! Hopefully this will help someone
else in the future.

Thanks again!!!

"La Vonna" wrote:

Okay, thank for all of your help though. I really appreciate it.

"Cindy Meister" wrote:

No, there isn't.

-- Cindy

"La Vonna" wrote:

Earlier versions of word would automatically sort entries to my data source
as I input them but since I have gotten office pro 2003 it doesn't do it
anymore. Now everytime I add an entry I have to view the source and sort it
manually. Is there a setting that I can change that will make Word do this
for me?

jco

Could you please explain to me where I can fin the Mail Merge Helper? Is it
the same as the Mail Merge Wizard? I can not find any query options button in
the Mail Merge Wizard.

"La Vonna" wrote:

Okay, thank for all of your help though. I really appreciate it.

"Cindy Meister" wrote:

No, there isn't.

-- Cindy

"La Vonna" wrote:

Earlier versions of word would automatically sort entries to my data source
as I input them but since I have gotten office pro 2003 it doesn't do it
anymore. Now everytime I add an entry I have to view the source and sort it
manually. Is there a setting that I can change that will make Word do this
for me?

Graham Mayor

See http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm

"La Vonna" wrote:

Okay, thank for all of your help though. I really appreciate it.

"Cindy Meister" wrote:

No, there isn't.

-- Cindy

"La Vonna" wrote:

Earlier versions of word would automatically sort entries to
my data source as I input them but since I have gotten office
pro 2003 it doesn't do it anymore. Now everytime I add an
entry I have to view the source and sort it manually. Is
there a setting that I can change that will make Word do this
for me?

La Vonna

JCO

In Wood 2003,
right click on any toolbar
click on Customize
go to the Commands tab,
scroll down the list of Categories
highlight All Commands
scroll down to MailMergeHelper
drag it up onto the Mail Merge Toolbar
press okay.

When you click on the Mail Merge Helper button that you just added to the
toolbar a new window will open with three sections in it. Section 3 will
allow you to choose sort and query options for your data source.

Hope that this is helpful.

"La Vonna" wrote:

Okay, thank for all of your help though. I really appreciate it.

"Cindy Meister" wrote:

No, there isn't.

-- Cindy