Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jwliberator jwliberator is offline

Default dell with vista & office professional edition 2003

Hi,

I am having a big problem. I just installed Microsoft Office Professional
Edition 2003 on my new Dell Inspiron 1501 pre loaded with Vista and I am
unable to associate a file type to open up with winword. I cannot get the
icon to go into recommended programs or other programs. I need big time
help. I had my MSI guy look at this & he was unable to do anything. We did
a Microsoft update and it still does not work. We tried to drag the icon to
the open with file & it still did not work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Specifically what happens when you try to associate a .doc file with Word?

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"jwliberator" wrote in message
Hi,

I am having a big problem. I just installed Microsoft Office Professional
Edition 2003 on my new Dell Inspiron 1501 pre loaded with Vista and I am
unable to associate a file type to open up with winword. I cannot get the
icon to go into recommended programs or other programs. I need big time
help. I had my MSI guy look at this & he was unable to do anything. We
did
a Microsoft update and it still does not work. We tried to drag the icon
the open with file & it still did not work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jwliberator jwliberator is offline

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE...
IF YOU SEND ME A .DOC ATTACHMENT TO MY E-MAIL - THE DEFAULT IS SET FOR
WORDPAD & IT OPENS IN WORDPAD (GIBBERISH STUFF). THE ONLY WAY I CAN OPEN IT
IS TO SAVE IT TO MY DOCUMENTS AND GO & OPEN MSWORD 2003 AND LOOK FOR THE
DOCUMENT. ALSO, ANOTHER EXAMPLE IS IF I HAD A DOCUMENT IN MSWORD AND SAVE IT
TO MY DESKTOP IT IS SAVED AS A WORDPAD DOC.

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

Specifically what happens when you try to associate a .doc file with Word?

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"jwliberator" wrote in message
Hi,

I am having a big problem. I just installed Microsoft Office Professional
Edition 2003 on my new Dell Inspiron 1501 pre loaded with Vista and I am
unable to associate a file type to open up with winword. I cannot get the
icon to go into recommended programs or other programs. I need big time
help. I had my MSI guy look at this & he was unable to do anything. We
did
a Microsoft update and it still does not work. We tried to drag the icon
the open with file & it still did not work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Do you have Word on this new computer?

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jwliberator jwliberator is offline

YES. THIS IS LICENSED SOFTWARE THAT I REGISTERED ON LINE WHEN I DID THE
INSTALLATION.

"CyberTaz" wrote:

Have you completed the Activation process since installing Office?

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 7/11/07 4:26 PM, in article
, "jwliberator"
wrote:

Hi,

I am having a big problem. I just installed Microsoft Office Professional
Edition 2003 on my new Dell Inspiron 1501 pre loaded with Vista and I am
unable to associate a file type to open up with winword. I cannot get the
icon to go into recommended programs or other programs. I need big time
help. I had my MSI guy look at this & he was unable to do anything. We did
a Microsoft update and it still does not work. We tried to drag the icon to
the open with file & it still did not work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jwliberator jwliberator is offline

Yes, I installed office professional edition 2003 and i can see & use
Microsoft Office Wood 2003 from my programs list.
DOES NOT WORK WHEN YOU SEND ME A .DOC ATTACHMENT TO MY E-MAIL - THE DEFAULT

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

First - Please lower your caps. You're making it very difficult to read your

You said you and your MSI person tried to change your file associations. How
did you do this and what's an MSI person?

--

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jwliberator jwliberator is offline

Default programs
If I open set your default programs, on the left is a list of programs and
Office 2003 is not there.

If I use associate a file type, I select an extension .doc (it is showing
current default as Word Pad). I select change program. It is not showing in
my recommended or other programs. I select browse and scroll to Microsoft
Office and open it. Go to the Office11 folder. Scroll to winword select open
get back to open with file and it is not in recommended or browse.

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jwliberator jwliberator is offline

Hi,

I just tried this fix in Vista. Repeat for file types DOCHTML, DOCMHTML,
DOT. DOTHTML had no file extension - I am unable to get a Microsoft Office
Word extension.

From Word Help (modified):
1.. In My Computer or Windows Explorer, click the Tools menu, click Folder
Options,
and then click the File Types tab (Wait...).
2.. In the Registered file types list, click the file type "DOC", and then
click Change.
3.. In the Open With dialog box, select "Microsoft Word", and then click
OK.
4.. Repeat for file types DOCHTML, DOCMHTML, DOT and DOTHTML.
5.. Click OK in the Folder Options dialog box.