Retired

Default Use find and replace to change American word to Canadian spelling

Using Word 2003, text exercise reads "Use Find and Replace to find and
replace any words that should be changed to Canadian spellings."

We don't do homework questions.

"Retired" wrote in message
Using Word 2003, text exercise reads "Use Find and Replace to find and
replace any words that should be changed to Canadian spellings."

Retired (almost)

I do appreciate this position. I should have explained to you that I am the
teacher! I had hoped to use this exchange in my next lesson to illustrate to
students how they might use this site. Please reconsider!

"Retired" wrote in message
Using Word 2003, text exercise reads "Use Find and Replace to find and
replace any words that should be changed to Canadian spellings."

Daiya Mitchell

Well, if you say you're the teacher....

Actually, turns out I don't understand the question, really. Find favor
and replace with favour, repeat for all words used in doc...doesn't seem
right.

What's the result you are looking for?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Retired (almost)

That is precisely what students are instructed to do. Prepare a memo
(Subject: American vs. Canadian Spelling) and then use Find and Replace to
find and replace any words (U.S. English) that should be changed to Canadian
spellings. I find it unlikely that students will use this particular skill
in the workplace, but thought it a good opportunity to illustrate the value
of this site.

Janet Dickinson
AST Adjunct Instructor
Thomas Nelson Community College

"Retired" wrote in message
Using Word 2003, text exercise reads "Use Find and Replace to find and
replace any words that should be changed to Canadian spellings."

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

I did think about the question, but I'm not sure how it could be done with
F&R. If you change the language of the document from English (U.S.) to
English (Canada), then the "misspelled" words will be highlighted, but I
don't think there's any option in F&R to find words that are marked as
misspelled. And even if there were, what would you replace them with? If you
replaced them with ^&, then, if you had AutoCorrect set up to use
suggestions from the spelling checker, this might work in some instances,
but not all (in fact, I just tested it, and it doesn't work at all).

You *can* use F&R to search for words with a specific language applied, but
if the entire memo had been typed in English (U.S.), then I don't see how
this would be helpful.

The *real* answer, of course, would be to change the language formatting,
then look for the words that are marked as misspelled (or run the spelling
checker explicitly).

"Retired (almost)" wrote in
message ...
That is precisely what students are instructed to do. Prepare a memo
(Subject: American vs. Canadian Spelling) and then use Find and Replace

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

We don't do homework questions.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Retired" wrote in message
Using Word 2003, text exercise reads "Use Find and Replace to find

and
replace any words that should be changed to Canadian spellings."

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Daiya Mitchell

The *real* answer, of course, would be to change the language formatting,
then look for the words that are marked as misspelled (or run the spelling
checker explicitly).

I thought of that one. In fact, I wrote it out. Then I realized you didn't
need F&R to do it, and got confused.

Janet, maybe you could pick a better question to demonstrate the value of
this site. I don't think this is going to be very impressive. Or just look
for other asked and answered questions.

By the way, you could also inform them that Google groups will let them
search the assorted wisdom of the newsgroups:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/....docmanagement
Or
http://groups-beta.google.com/grphp?...ages&lr=&hl=en

That's a really good thing to learn.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Retired (almost)

Thanks for your help! The lesson morphed from brief look at the Canadian
spelling issue to . . . using MS Help . . . online sources of help . . .
newsgroups in general . . . refining searches. None of this was according to
the syllabus, but students agreed that it was much more useful than the
scheduled lesson (splitting/merging cells and using autosum in tables - yuck!)