Dmitry Kopnichev

Default How to increase spaces between dashes in the dashed line?

Hello
How to increase spaces between dashes in the dashed line? There is only one
dashed line with the same bigger dashes in Word.
Thanks

Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi dimitry

Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
How to increase spaces between dashes in the dashed line? There is only
one dashed line with the same bigger dashes in Word.

As long as you're talking about a border as in Format | Borders and
Shading, I'm afraid there doesn't seem to be any way (short of
increasing the line width size, which probably isn't exactly what you
are looking for).

You could technically try to build your own line comprised of grouped
lines from the Draw toolbar, but you will run into a lot more
positioning problems than with a text-layer paragraph/table border.

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Dmitry Kopnichev

Thanks for your reply.
I'm not talking about a border as in Format | Borders and Shading, but about
an Autoshape, a dashed line and it's properties.
What program to use to increase spaces between dashes in the dashed line?
I want to create a table border with + (plus) sign at the intersections of
border dashed lines.
"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote in message
Hi dimitry

Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
How to increase spaces between dashes in the dashed line? There is only
one dashed line with the same bigger dashes in Word.

As long as you're talking about a border as in Format | Borders and
Shading, I'm afraid there doesn't seem to be any way (short of increasing
the line width size, which probably isn't exactly what you are looking
for).

You could technically try to build your own line comprised of grouped
lines from the Draw toolbar, but you will run into a lot more positioning
problems than with a text-layer paragraph/table border.

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
X Against HTML | for
/ \ in e-mail & news | Word

Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
I'm not talking about a border as in Format | Borders and Shading, but
about an Autoshape, a dashed line and it's properties.
What program to use to increase spaces between dashes in the dashed line?
I want to create a table border with + (plus) sign at the intersections
of border dashed lines.

I don't think there's a way to manipulate that: certainly not through
the UI, and I doubt it's accessible through VBA. [I'm pretty sure I'm
contradicted if any of the developers reading this and I'm wrong. :-)]

You'll probably have to "paint" such a table externaly, or paint each
part of your line seperately.

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
I want to create a table border with + (plus) sign at the intersections of
border dashed lines as in the attached file.

You could of course do it exactly like the picture you attached to this
text-only groups indicates: Use a fixed-width font and one character for
each item.

I would certainly not bother with that: Your picture shows how a
typewriter had to lay out a table. Word can do a bit better nowadays ... :-)

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Dmitry Kopnichev

The problem is that - and + sign's horizontal lines are on different levels
(-+). On my picture they are on the same level.
Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
I want to create a table border with + (plus) sign at the intersections
of
border dashed lines as in the attached file.

You could of course do it exactly like the picture you attached to this
text-only groups indicates: Use a fixed-width font and one character for
each item.

I would certainly not bother with that: Your picture shows how a
typewriter had to lay out a table. Word can do a bit better nowadays ...
:-)

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
The problem is that - and + sign's horizontal lines are on different
levels (-+). On my picture they are on the same level.

That certainly depends on the font used: in a sensible Unicode font,
this should not happen (if you use the true "Minus" sign, U+2212 in
Hex). Also no problem if you use a standard fixed-width font like
"Courier New".

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
Yes. You are right that - and + sign's horizontal lines are on the same
levels in "Courier New". How to chose a Unicode font in Word?

It needs to be installed on your PC, then you can select it in Word. I
reckon that at least one such font comes with Office 2002 or 2003
(Lucida Sans Unicode, Arial Unicode, some such stuff).

Ahh, http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/font...idasansunicode claims
that's is even been part of Windows 2000 and XP.

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
Times New Roman has - and + sign's horizontal lines are on different
levels (-+).

No, at least not if you insert the real "Minus" sign as indicated
earlier in this thread: If you insert an ordinary dash/hyphen, that's on
a different level with the "+", but not the real character in Times New
Roman.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
How to insert the real "Minus" sign using a keyboard, not the Word menu?
"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote in message

On an English Word installation, type 2212 and then Alt-X.

Don't bother with replying it does not work without indicating which
version of Word you're using! :-)

Greetinx
Robert
--