Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Laurie

Default How do I insert an Excel table in Word, then resize it to fit?

I copy the table from Excel into Word, but then it's way too big and I don't
know how to shrink it to fit my Word doc.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I insert an Excel table in Word, then resize it to fit?

Inserting an Excel Table into Word and Resizing it to Fit
  1. Open both your Excel file and Word document.
  2. Select the table you want to insert into Word by clicking and dragging over the cells.
  3. Right-click on the selected table and choose "Copy" or press "Ctrl+C" on your keyboard.
  4. Click where you want to insert the table in your Word document.
  5. Right-click and choose "Paste" or press "Ctrl+V" on your keyboard to paste the table into your Word document.
  6. Click on the table to select it.
  7. Click on the "Table Tools" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  8. In the "Layout" section of the ribbon, click on the "AutoFit" button.
  9. Choose "AutoFit to Contents" from the dropdown menu.
  10. Manually resize the table by clicking and dragging on the corners of the table if necessary.

And that's it! Your Excel table should now be inserted into your Word document and resized to fit.

PHP Code:
If you want to automate this processyou can use the following VBA code in Excel:

Sub CopyTableToWord()

'Copy the selected table
    Selection.Copy

    '
Create a new Word document
    Dim wdApp
As Object
    Set wdApp
CreateObject("Word.Application")

wdApp.Visible True
    wdApp
.Documents.Add

'Paste the table into the Word document
    wdApp.Selection.PasteExcelTable False, False, False

    '
AutoFit the table to contents
    wdApp
.Selection.Tables(1).AutoFitBehavior wdAutoFitContent

'Clean up
    Set wdApp = Nothing
End Sub
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Angela

After you have the table in Word, right click on the little pop up square at
the top left corner of the table. Scroll down to Auto Fit, choose Auto Fit
to Window. It doesn't always work on excesively wide tables, but it helps.

"Laurie" wrote:

I copy the table from Excel into Word, but then it's way too big and I don't
know how to shrink it to fit my Word doc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Laurie

Thanks Angela.
I have also learned this: if when I paste the table into the Word doc, I
choose Paste Special and then choose Excel Object, then the table comes with
corners that I can drag and shrink the table to fit.
Thanks again.

"Laurie" wrote:

I copy the table from Excel into Word, but then it's way too big and I don't
know how to shrink it to fit my Word doc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TGF1cmll?=,

I have also learned this: if when I paste the table into the Word doc, I
choose Paste Special and then choose Excel Object, then the table comes with
corners that I can drag and shrink the table to fit.

You just need to be aware that such a table cannot break over multiple pages:
it's restricted to a single page.

Cindy Meister

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
PeterP

Another option that we use where I work, is to "Paste Special" and select
"Enhanced Metafile." The Excel table seems to behave better than just
pasting as an Excel object, and the corner boxes are there for resizing,
although that is rarely needed.