Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Marwas Marwas is offline

Default I am trying to do a mail merge from an excel document to word.

I am merging title, first name, last name, address, city,state, zip, phone
and email address. All of the columns appear in the merge fields except
title and first name.
They are also not included as a selection in drop down box in match fields .
What can I do?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Does the first row of your spreadsheet contain column names for /all/ the
columns? (Make sure you are seeing /all/ the rows in the spreadsheet as it's
quite easy to hide them).

Which version of Excel/Word?

Peter Jamieson
"Marwas" wrote in message
I am merging title, first name, last name, address, city,state, zip, phone
and email address. All of the columns appear in the merge fields except
title and first name.
They are also not included as a selection in drop down box in match fields
.
What can I do?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Marwas Marwas is offline

Peter, thanks for responding. I am suing Microsoft Office for excel and word
2003.

It will not allow me to place a printed screen in this message to show you.
The first colum (column A) is title (Mr., Mrs, or Mr. & Mrs.) the second
column (B) is first name. They do not appear as a selection when I am
setting up the directory using address block.... or more items.......

Thanks Peter for your interest in helping me.

"Marwas" wrote in message
I am merging title, first name, last name, address, city,state, zip, phone
and email address. All of the columns appear in the merge fields except
title and first name.
They are also not included as a selection in drop down box in match fields
.
What can I do?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Two other possibilities:
a. have you gone through the process (in Word) of connecting to your data
source again?
b. when you connect to the data source from Word, do you see a dialog box
that offers various possible worksheets (typically Sheet1, Sheet2, Sheet3 or
Sheet1$, Sheet2$, Sheet3$ unless you have changed the sheet names and/or
deleted unneeded sheets) ? It could be that you are connecting to a range
name that does not contain the whole sheet - if so, you need to connect to
the whole sheet.

As a workaround, you could try
a. selecting the whole Excel sheet
b. Edit|Copy
c. Edit|Paste into a new Word document, which you use as your data source.
If that does not contain the correct headings, enter them by hand after you
have pasted the table.

Peter Jamieson

"Marwas" wrote in message
I am merging title, first name, last name, address, city,state, zip,
phone
and email address. All of the columns appear in the merge fields
except
title and first name.
They are also not included as a selection in drop down box in match
fields
.
What can I do?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Marwas Marwas is offline

Thanks for your help Peter. I was able to adequately complete the merge with
the two columns needed. Everything I do is through trail and error. I think
my difficulty may have been in the data source. When confirming the data
source, the default was OLE DB DATABASE FILES and I was clicking OK, rather
than choosing the MS EXCEL WORKSHEET via DDE. I am truly not sure if this
was what corrected the problem, but I was able to complete my document
exactly how I wanted.