Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
H Newsholme H Newsholme is offline

Default how do i type isotopes in Word 2007?

Please could someone tell me how to type isotopes in Word 2007
many thanks

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: how do i type isotopes in Word 2007?

How to Type Isotopes in Word 2007

1. Open a new or existing Word document.
2. Type the element symbol for the isotope you want to write. For example, "C" for carbon.
3. To write the atomic number of the element, type the number and then format it as a subscript. To do this, highlight the number and then go to the "Home" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen. In the "Font" section, click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner to open the "Font" dialog box. Check the "Subscript" box and click "OK". The number will now appear as a subscript.
4. To write the mass number of the isotope, type the number and then format it as a superscript. To do this, highlight the number and then go to the "Home" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen. In the "Font" section, click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner to open the "Font" dialog box. Check the "Superscript" box and click "OK". The number will now appear as a superscript.
  1. For example, to write the isotope carbon-14, you would type "C" for carbon, then type "14" and format it as a superscript.

I hope that helps!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Use superscrpt numbers or visit: http://www.albuquerquebaseball.com/

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"H Newsholme" H wrote in message
Please could someone tell me how to type isotopes in Word 2007
many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 09:46:04 -0800, H Newsholme H
wrote:

Please could someone tell me how to type isotopes in Word 2007
many thanks

There are several ways.

Probably the easiest is to use the new equation editor. Press Alt+= to open an
editor box -- this can be in a new paragraph or inside regular text -- and also
to display the Equation Tools ribbon. In the Structures group on the ribbon,
click Script and choose the picture that has boxes for superscript and subscript
to the left of the main box. Type the atomic mass in the superscript
placeholder, the atomic number in the subscript, and the element symbol in the
main box. Because the editor assumes the main box is a math variable, you have
to select it and press Ctrl+I to turn off the italics.

The one drawback of the new editor is that it can only use one font, Cambria
Math. That may change in the future.

Another way is to use the EQ field with the \a switch, which is mean for making
arrays. Press Ctrl+F9 to insert field braces. Inside the braces, type

eq \a \ar (A,N)

but replace A with the atomic mass and N with the atomic number. Format the
whole thing in a smaller font size -- for example, 8 pt to go with 12 pt regular
text. Press F9 to update the field. Then type the element symbol to the right of
the numbers.

A third way, similar to the first, is to use the same Microsoft Equation 3.0
that was available in previous versions. Click Insert Object Create New
Microsoft Equation 3.0. (If that choice isn't in the list, you'll have to go
through the Office installer, choose "Add or Remove Features", and choose
Equation Editor under Office Tools.) On the editor's toolbar, click the
superscript/subscript group and choose the layout with superscript and subscript
to the left of the main box. To remove the italics on the element symbol, click
the Style menu and choose Text.

After using any of these methods, it would be a good idea to select the whole
thing and make an AutoCorrect entry of it so you can quickly use it again.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
H Newsholme[_2_] H Newsholme[_2_] is offline

Many thanks for your help. I will try the methods explained.
best wishes
Heather Newsholme