Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cendrine

Default How to print a document like a book

Hello all,

I work with Word 2003. I am prepapring a book to publish. So I set up the
options for that.

When you print a book, you have two pages per side of sheet (hence four
pages per sheet of letter-sized paper).

Before, what appeared on the printed pages was as follows: first page-last
page, second page-second last page, third page-third to last page.
So for a 70-page book, it would be as follows: page 1-page 70, page 2- page
69, page 3-page 68, page 4- page 67, etc.

I have no idea what happened but now, both printers I have print the book as
a regular document: page 1-page 2- page 3 etc. I tried everything I know, and
it still doesn't work the way it used to.

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Marcus Fox

"Cendrine" wrote in message
Hello all,

I work with Word 2003. I am prepapring a book to publish. So I set up the
options for that.

Usually that's the publisher's job. You just send them the manuscript on A4
paper.

Marcus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If you use "Book fold," you can print as a booklet, but be aware that this
is really best adapted for smallish booklets (I've done up to 100 pages, but
that's really pushing it). Also be aware that there's no such thing as a
70-page booklet; the number of pages must be divisible by four. If you are
printing this yourself from your desktop printer or printing camera-ready
copy to be photocopied double-sided, then Word's "Book fold" feature is what
you need (see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...etPrinting.htm for
other methods). But if you're having the book commercially printed (even if
you're self-publishing), then give the document to the printer as single
pages (even though they're half-page size--use larger margins) and let the
printer worry about imposition.

"Cendrine" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cendrine

Thanks a lot for this reply!

What do you mean when you say: But if you're having the book commercially
printed (even if you're self-publishing), then give the document to the
printer as single pages (even though they're half-page size--use larger
margins) and let the
printer worry about imposition.

Are the single pages regular sized pages (letter size) or half page (letter
size divided by two)?

Thank you once again

"Cendrine" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Regular-size pages with the margins set so that the content will fit on
half-sized. To be on the safe side, though, your best bet is to talk to the
printer and find out what format he wants (mine actually prefers a PDF).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.